Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
BowHunting Partners? >

BowHunting Partners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BowHunting Partners?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Im with AK on this one, I have friends that I just won't hunt with. Aside from that, the two "partners" if you can call them that are in no way "moochs". We all have certain patches of timber in various places that the others don't have permission to hunt, and it is understood that the others will not seek out permission to hunt there (Works out perfect because of the amount of ground we have to hunt).
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I must say I agree with you MeanV but I put some conditions on it. My very best friend and the person I enjoy hunting with the most (son's aren't old enough to hunt yet ) is one of my father's old hunting partner's son, that I grew up hunting with and he's like the little brother I never had. I tought him how to bowhunt (our dad's hunted EVERTYHING that flies and most everything else except for deer) so I taught him to bowhunt and bass fish and to this day I try to help teach him how to be a better man. (I'm 35 and he's 29). I enjoy hunting with him more than anyone else and for the most part I just hunt alone (he lives about 2 hours away) and it's getting to be more so with every year that goes by; I become more of a loner. In part I bellieve it's because of my growing passion for killing big bucks and that can be a lonely lifestyle when you are hunting where there aren't many. Which, is kind of sad. Now, with all that being said, my friend doesn't bring much of anything but his friendship to the table. He is a warm loveable guy that you can't help but love. But I have been paying his way since he was little and still do so much of the time (don't mind doing so cause he's like blood and I have always been better off than him financially) he is frequently late and not exactly the picture of dependability. He is an excellent outdoorsman in all regards. But eventhough he is one of my favorite people to be around and to hunt with, I still don't invite him on my out of state whitetail trips. I would love to share one of those camps with him one of these days. But, he is just too undependable to make plans with a year in advance and stake that kind of hunt, time, and money on. Most of my other hunting relationsships are much more equitable but we have all quit hunting together as much because we are all trying and succeeding at killing big bucks and we have gotten more and more secretive with each other and only 2 of my best 4 hunting buddies even know that I killed a 144 7/8 this year here close where I live and because I don't want anyone to know where I killed him because I just found the spot and plan to hunt and kill big bucks out of it for the next several years. Two of the tem both killed really nice bucks this year as well and I don't where they killed their deer were killed. Unfortunately, it's just a part of hunting big bucks. It's like fishing. The best fisherman, never tell you where they are catching them......that's why they catch them! It's just part of my hunting transition and those of my hunting partner's. Mine's all starting to change and gonna do a 180 because I have a 7 mnth old and another that will be here in 4 mnths. and when they get to be 5 and 6 all the big buck crap will go out the window and it will be all about them!!!! Sorry to thread jack!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, nice talking to you the other day MeanV. I haven't gotten the Maximum yet but I know I'm gonna love it!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Now, with all that being said, my friend doesn't bring much of anything but his friendship to the table.
IMO...(and yours, obviously)...that's PLENTY!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by silentassassin
By the way, nice talking to you the other day MeanV. I haven't gotten the Maximum yet but I know I'm gonna love it!
Same here!! I always enjoy talking Bows & Bowhunting, on the phone or in person.

Dan
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Bow hunting is a solitary sport...I don't understand why people want bow hunting partners? I take someone, only to train them. Then, they are on their own. I don't need twice as much noise, scent, and fighting over who gets to kill an animal. I will share an elk, bear camp, or whatever with someone, but you aren't tagging along with me during hunting daylight. I'll see you at night, back in camp.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
Bow hunting is a solitary sport...I don't understand why people want bow hunting partners? I take someone, only to train them. Then, they are on their own. I don't need twice as much noise, scent, and fighting over who gets to kill an animal. I will share an elk, bear camp, or whatever with someone, but you aren't tagging along with me during hunting daylight. I'll see you at night, back in camp.
I Agree Don! I've always preferred Hunting alone unless I am teaching a Newbie or sharing a hunt with a special friend, but for the most times I hunt alone. I do have friends I shoot with swap stories with etc., etc.

The guy in question in my OP is not me. Some guys seem to really enjoy hunting with Buddies. I think it may be a carry over from gun hunting, which seems more likely to hunt in groups.

I do travel with a companion from time to time as it is nice to be able to share traveling expenses. I just don't understand expecting something from your friends that you may occasionally share a hunt with, and if they don't come across ditching them. Maybe I got it all wrong.

I know if we shared a hunt together I'd hope it would be for the Hunt, sharing stories, etc., and Not because one or both of us were expected to bring something to the table.

Neither am I talking about a Mooch. I think those are easy to spot and avoid early on.

Dan
Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Partners don't sit with you while you hunt. That would be absurd. Partners discuss tactics, locations, scout with/without you and share notes, share notes about what was seen on hunts and deer behavior exhibited and much more. Sometimes hunting partners will arrive and park at the same place, walk to a point in the woods and then go separate ways to hunt separate areas. But to think they sit with you while you hunt is ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Different perspective.....

I was sitting in a tree (had a bow, but had no interest in shooting) approx. 10yds away from a buddy of mine when he took a beautiful doe from the woods I hunt. It was 3 yrs ago.....and it's still one of my fondest memories afield.

This guy has taken over 100 deer with his bow. Had nothing to do with getting him started....lol.

I'll promise you I got more from that hunt than he did. It was exciting as heck.

I was also 100yds from another friend when he took his '09 buck. Again.....the recovery of that animal was something I'm glad I was around for. I snapped the photos.....and we both loaded him into his truck. Glad I was there.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

A hunting partner in my eyes has nothing to do with what one can bring but hinges on so on fellowship, shared times good and sad, sharing time together doing something you both love and doing it the same way as you, there is no conflict because you hunt the same way. The partnership can carry over to family get togethers for a cookout or whatever shared between each and their wifes a few times during the off season. It's about the anticipation you share with each other as the season nears. There's a lot that goes into choosing and finding a compatible hunting partner but when you finally do it can be a very rewarding thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.