Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Button Bucks?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I don't pay anything. I process my own deer. Some of you guys might want to try it. I feel as though it is part of being a hunter. It aint that hard.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Not looking for Better Meat in my case as I like it all. Just looking for more. I know the meat you get from a button is very little, and the cost for the finished meat regardless of amount ends up about the same.
Dan
C'mon now, Dan. I like it all too, but NOTHING beats the backstraps from a young 'un.

As to the cost versus the size, I process my own, so that doesn't matter to me.

I do, however, make every effort to take the does and steer clear of button bucks.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot a few... no regrets...
I don't always, depends on the situation.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Spike

I've never killed a BB on purpose or by accident. I guess it helps that I only shoot large doe or legal buck so I've never been in a position to make the mistake.

I don't understand why anybody would target a bb, even if you havent been hunting long. Wait for a nice doe at least.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Spike

Been hunting 34 years, never shot a BB nor a doe fawn, the deer heard in Mass is large enough , no need to take the little ones. Enjoy the view and wait for the mature adults.

Sit Toby
Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know it's to each their own, and personally your choice is your choice and whatever you wanna put your tag on does not affect me in the least.

A Bowhunter once told me it is a crime against Mother Nature to kill a BB. I tend to agree!

Some answers are interesting As far as processing my own? I guess if my time was worth nothing that might be a bargain, but it is usually more profitable for me to do something else. I would rather spend my free time in a Treestand hunting. To be quite honest I got my fill of butchering, cutting up meat, and packaging when I was younger.

Dan
Old 01-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess if my time was worth nothing that might be a bargain, but it is usually more profitable for me to do something else. I would rather spend my free time in a Treestand hunting. To be quite honest I got my fill of butchering, cutting up meat, and packaging when I was younger.
Hey, I agree. It takes me less than 30min. to quarter a deer. Drop it off at the butcher, and I get it back, packaged, for around $40. My time's worth more than that.

I usually choose to quarter them at night. Can't hunt at night, so....makes sense.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not all butchers price the same way. The guy that does processing here will give you $15 off if you skin and quarter your deer. Quite frankly it's Not worth the $15 to me as it involves more than just skinning and quartering even though that in itself is a simple job.

Dan
Old 01-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I've only skinned two deer in two years. I find the process ..........unnecesary.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
I've only skinned two deer in two years. I find the process ..........unnecesary.
I am usually taking half of it off for a cape anyway

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.