Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why a new bow??? >

Why a new bow???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why a new bow???

Old 01-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default Why a new bow???

I have been thinking about getting a new bow but the one I got is still a deer killin' machine what are some of the advantages of geting a new bow and if anyone is still using old gear like me why this was my first year hunting and I picked up this bow and praticed for a week and went out three weeks later I had a deer should I stay with my whitetail2 or upgrade when I can
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Frosty452
I have been thinking about getting a new bow but the one I got is still a deer killin' machine what are some of the advantages of geting a new bow and if anyone is still using old gear like me why this was my first year hunting and I picked up this bow and praticed for a week and went out three weeks later I had a deer should I stay with my whitetail2 or upgrade when I can
Bear whitetail2? Yea, I would upgrade. I had one. Back in 86. Loud, lots of vibration, heavy, long, just no fun to shoot. I don't mean to knock your bow. And mean no offense. But I bet my recurves outruns it more quietly.

I tell ya what, go out and shoot a newer parallel limb bow and I bet your figure it out fairly quick.

But your right, if you keep your limitations, that whitetail will kill deer no doubt. And you don't want to go out and practice a lot, and just shoot before the season, it might not benefit you to buy a new one.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Spike

Also with that what would be a good bow to go to I don't have a prefrence since thats the only bow ive shot. as with the noise I have have quieted it down with string leeches and its not too bad and What I was saing about praticing is thats all the time I had the bow b4 I went out hunting

Last edited by Frosty452; 01-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Bear Whitetail II..... WOW!!! Man, you have no idea what in the heck you're missing! I promise you, head to a local Pro Shop and shoot a few new machines and you won't even be able to describe the difference!!!

If you have a decent budget and can consider a top end bow than I seriously urge you to shoot the better models from the "Big 3"? Try a Mathews Z7, Hoyt Maxis and a BowTech Admiral..... the best of the bsest in my opinion and they WILL change the way you look at modern compounds!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
A Bear Whitetail II..... WOW!!! Man, you have no idea what in the heck you're missing! I promise you, head to a local Pro Shop and shoot a few new machines and you won't even be able to describe the difference!!!

If you have a decent budget and can consider a top end bow than I seriously urge you to shoot the better models from the "Big 3"? Try a Mathews Z7, Hoyt Maxis and a BowTech Admiral..... the best of the bsest in my opinion and they WILL change the way you look at modern compounds!
How True!!

Dan
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Bear whitetail2? Yea, I would upgrade. I had one. Back in 86. Loud, lots of vibration, heavy, long, just no fun to shoot. I don't mean to knock your bow. And mean no offense. But I bet my recurves outruns it more quietly.

I tell ya what, go out and shoot a newer parallel limb bow and I bet your figure it out fairly quick.

But your right, if you keep your limitations, that whitetail will kill deer no doubt. And you don't want to go out and practice a lot, and just shoot before the season, it might not benefit you to buy a new one.
I agree with bigcountry. I shoot old bows too that will out shoot the Bear Whitetail II

I just got my second compound. I had a Bear XL 400 and through happenstance wound up with a Mathews Monster through a gun trade.

The difference is UNBELIEVABLE!

Last edited by va bowbender; 01-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I been looking at some new bows myself. I haven't shot a compound in over 15 yrs. Picked up a X-bow several yrs ago for a steal, got the itch to get back into compound's. Last compound was also an older Bear bow, the stuff out today is unreal. The % letoff is unreal, the speeds and noise are mind blowing compared to the old Bear.

The biggest thing in how much more user friendly they are.

Go get your hands on as many and see what all you like.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frosty452
I was questioning the same myself the last couple of years. I shot a 14 year old bow that still got the job done and was having a hard time justifying the money for a new one.

Like others here commented -you dont know what you are missing until you shoot some of the new ones. They are so much smoother,faster and quieter.

As for what one you should buy-I would just go shoot several and buy what you like best. I would however shoot some top end bows and lower end bows so you can see what the extra money gets you.

I eneded up last fall getting a new bowtech admiral-not because it was the best bow out there but because its what I liked the most. The biggest reason I went with it was because the pro shop I deal with and trust is a bowtech dealer.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

upgrade if possible. new ones are much faster, quieter, lighter, shorter, etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Martin Pantera that is about 15 years old, and I'm in the market for a new bow myself, mainly because I have missed some opportunities by not being able to draw and hold for a reasonable period

Picked up and drew back one of the new bowtech models the other day, all I can saw is , "Wow"! Bows have seriously changed in the last 15 years

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.