Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!! >

Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice Don! You make one for Emily too? Did she Deer hunt any this Fall?

I'm pretty hot natured, but I'm sure if you get cold those things would work good. Kind of like a mitten compared to a Glove.

Dan
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Schultzy
No pics Don.
I see the pics now. Don't look to bad Don!! Sure looks like there's enough clearance to me. I might have to make me one of these.

Nice work!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I like it (in general).

That'll work with the compound, for sure. I'm not saying it WON'T work with the recurve (at all). I'm just warning you to beware for the more severe angled shots. Your cant will help "some". But, I'd still be wary of the lower limb getting caught up in it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Banned

Thanks guys...Emily hunted quite a lot this year, and I was with her most of the time teaching her and coaching her...not getting her out in this extreme cold though. This setup is for her if I can get her out. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...nd-setups.html
I have a lil buddy heater for this.
She passed on several does and small bucks this year. She had a 140" broadside at 40 yds, and wisely chose to let it pass for a closer shot some other day. She is real picky and shows no interest in small bucks or does. I took her out on Thanksgiving morning and rattled up a nice buck for her, that was missing half of his head gear from a fight, I assume. Bow hunting in SE IA was tough this year. Too much rain , farmers couldn't combine during the rut, and the corn only got harvested(some still isn't) about 3 weeks ago. Then a blizzard came in...tough year. Deer were living in the corn and timbers and funnels were very slow during the rut.

Last edited by hardcorehunter; 01-05-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcorehunter
I will post pics of me soon shooting my recurve with this on.

I want to thank you all for the kind words and support!!!! A plastic quick detach buckle, located at the waist holds this suit up when I am ready to shoot. It eliminates the need for suspenders. I don't want suspenders in my suit. I also have a hole sewn in the upper rear of the suit, that I feed my safety harness strap through that also keeps the suit where I want it. Once I get this all done in a fleece camo, these will be where I want them. Imo, I don't care about waterproofness. Quietness is WAY more important then waterproofness for a bow hunter. These are designed for bowhunting in extreme cold. In extreme cold, it doesn't rain, but I prefer to not purposely bow hunt in the rain anyway. I can't track blood in the rain. I have other clothing for hunting in cold rain, if I think I have too, or am caught in it unexpectantly. I came up with this HardCoreHunter Inferno Suit, as I am a serious bow hunter, who wants unparalleled warmth and the perfection of fleece, as fleece is the quietest known product known for the bow hunter. That is also why I implemented the magnet closures. Zippers are like Velcro, they don't belong in the woods for a bow hunter. Bowhunter needs are much difference then a gun hunters', as we all know. I am not bashing any other of the available products, but I desired something different for my needs here in the midwest. Right now, it is -15 outside. Once again, thanks for all of your comments and support.
Nice suit Don I think that would be awsome in the fleece.
I agree go for quite and comfort . If it is raining than it is above 32 outside and i wouldn't use that set up then . use it below 32
and it wil be snow. you could stay out there a while in the snow with that. So in the cold weather you opt out of the hang on and the sticks. Hmmm interesting. I just started useing the wolf sticks and i am still trying to work out kinks but am getting better at it
What type and pound wieght bag did you use?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

RH, all the label says is Sleeping bag/extreme cold.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

hardcore, I think without a doubt, you're one of my favorite posters to read on this board. You're always coming up with something and freely sharing your ideas or concoctions on here for all of us. Thanks buddy!

Question:

Have you ever weighed the complete setup packed up like that? I was really taken back a couple months ago by how much my pack alone weighs when its fully loaded for a hunt. And I don't carry much. Combined with the stand, it was very close to 30lbs.

I'm just curious as I'm looking at ways to shave some pounds off of my rig.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

muzzyman, thank you, and you are one of my favorite posters on here too, as it is evident you are an accomplished bow hunter, and of course, we can both appreciate our mobile style of hunting. I have never weighed my pack, but I am packing. I bring 2 buck grunts, a can call, real rattling antlers most of the season, 2 knives, a pelvic saw, a Hooyman saw, matches/lighters,(in case I would need to keep warm if I was stranded in the woods all night) latex gloves, small tripod, camera, headlight LED, 2 handheld LED flashlights, extra AA/AAA flashlight and camera batteries, Badlands Bino case, binos, laser rangefinder, .45 Glock, strap on step I use as a bow holder, extra pair of cotton camo gloves, 6 climbing sticks, when not using a climber, stand, ice breaker boot blankets in cold weather, bow/Promos bow sling, 30 ft of pullup rope, Cat Quiver w/6 arrows, my pack,and now this Inferno suit. I'll get this Inferno suit weighed soon, as I am curious too.

Last edited by hardcorehunter; 01-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice looking set up.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Would love to see a photo of you in a tree with that set up. It looks like it would be hard not to skylined, pretty cool though.

Last edited by Charlie P; 01-06-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.