Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn >

ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn

Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn

ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn....thoughts

let me clarify..for late season hunting (Dec and Jan)..they are not harvested at all and are left standing till spring planting

Last edited by 125py; 12-23-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

For me, they hit the beans HARD as long as they're up, then they switch to the corn as soon as the beans are cut.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Standing corn is not good for the hunting. Deer wil remain within the corn and are difficult to hunt. If the weather is windy, you can go in after them. But, they will probably not leave the corn often on their own.

Standing beans are a very attractive food source while they are still green. Once they turn yellow, they will be a lot les attractive.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Spike

"Standing corn is not good for the hunting." I disagree under certain circumstances. If the corn is pathetic (not tall or thick) not many deer will bed in it if any at all, but they will travel to it. Monday I hunted about a quarter mile from this type of field and the trails I hunted over where cow paths, had five bucks and five does come by, 8 with in 30 yards. One a 3 year old ten I've be watching all season well I'll just say 2 blade rage and the shoulder blade don't go together well, the rage is all bent and my arrow cracked, I rushed the shot that's all I know. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get another chance at him. Up here a standing bean field would be dynamite with all the snow on the ground. Up here you couldn't go wrong with either I think. If I could leave a standing bean field for deer OH the shed I would find in it maybe someday
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beans or deer crack as I like to call them will be the best draw as longas they are standing hands down, corn hold deer either way, even cut it still is a big draw assuming it is picked not chopped
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 125py
ok...how about STANDING beans vs STANDING corn....thoughts

let me clarify..for late season hunting (Dec and Jan)..they are not harvested at all and are left standing till spring planting
If you are getting any of this rain/sleet we are getting in Iowa, yesterday and today are perfect for stalking, they are laying up wherever they can. Get in that corn and hit em hard!

On my way in last night I found 4 nice bucks laying down in the middle of somebody's lawn not even three blocks from my in-laws place. No cover at all.