Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH grain Weight

Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Spike

Default BH grain Weight

I am looking for some new broad heads, and being new to Bow Hunting I am confused at the difference in grain Weight. I shoot a Dimond Marquis from Bowtech and I am looking for the most cutting and penetrating power. however i am noticing that there are different grain weights.

can someone enlighten me?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think too many folks will argue that 100grains is the overwhelmingly most popular choice.

It is what I would by and large blindly recommened. If, for example, you have a younger shooter with a shorter draw at lower poundage, you may then want to scale it back to 75 grain. Or, say your arrows are right on the fence of being spined correctly (you should always go with the stiffer arrow when on the line).... you may want to consider a 125gr head. Lots of shooters prefer 125s, as I did until I switched arrows (and bows) and found that my bow actually preferred the arrows with 100gr heads.

The heavier the head, the closer to the front the balance point (FOC%) will be... and quite often the better the arrow will fly.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Spike

Hey man, I shoot MUZZY 125 grain 3-blade broadheads on a 400 grain EASTON ST EXCEL arrow shaft....This is my preference after trying alot of different arrow brands and weights of broadheads [don't want to confuse you but bowhunting is the most challenging and technical way of hunting deer...but most rewarding] You don't have to spend alot of money on arrows but broadheads have to be good quality after all, the broadhead is all that kills the deer not the arrow....If you want to hit the deer with more impact [like a bullet] go with 125 grain heads....but you will lose some speed [fps] even so, you will hit the deer harder than 100 grain heads that are slightly faster, but have less knock down power [don't expect to knock down a deer with a bow...unlike a rifle, you are causing a deer to bleed to death with a bow....not with blunt force like a bullet]...Try both weights...100 grain and 125 grain and see which weight broadhead gives you better accuracy from your bow...go with the one that shoots better...after all, bowhunting is about shot placement, not blunt force trauma...hit em where it counts [lungs or heart] and you'll get your deer.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

One more thing, strive for accuracy first...not cutting diameter...put aside one or two broadheads for practice only...don't use these for hunting EVER!!! [they are too dull after hitting your target] keep several of the same heads for hunting later on...sight in your bow with your broadheads or you will be sorry...they fly different than your practice points...Don't chance using mechanical broadheads...I have had bad experience with them in the past [they might fly like your practice points, but sometimes they won't open when they hit the deer...lost a big 9 point buck last year because of this]
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 4 blade 100gr Magnus Stingers.Nasty little devils !!!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Spike

the choice of grains for the head you want to shoot shouldnt be decided on cutting diameter or thinking that they will fly like field points no matter if your going to shoot a mechanical or a fixed blade...you need to figure out which weight will give your arrow the correct spine and FOC (front of center)...if your shooting a too heavy or too light head it will cause erratic flight no matter what broadhead you pick...there are proven mechanical heads out there so dont shy away from them because someone tells you they suck...fixed blades are great heads too...guaranteed cut...the best penetration...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Spike

Cool

I got my NAP Bloodrunners in the mail today. Going to try them out here real soon. We'll see how they preform compared to the G5 Striker Magnums
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I notice you are from AK, what game do you plan on hunting?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a few more details, we could probably better help answer your question. As mentioned already, most could argue that a 100 GR broadhead is the most popular (I shoot a 3 blade 100 GR Muzzy) - but also depends on other factors...

For example:
- What bow do you plan (or are) shooting
- What poundage is it set to
- What is your approx draw length and arrow length
- What arrow do you plan to use (for example arrow manufacturer & model of arrow)
- What game do you plan to mainly hunt
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

the broadhead is all that kills the deer not the arrow
BUT if the broadhead is the wrong weight, then the arrow will fly erractically because of possibly too much FOC, or too much or not enough spine to stabilize. The arrow is just as important, if not more so, than the broadhead!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.