Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips? >

Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

I actually got busted by a dopey little spike yesterday, how embarrassing. I cant seem to get anything in range, and when I do, all i can do is sit frozen and watch them feed under me. I had 5 does under me the other day and i couldnt even turn my head w/out them noticing, much less stand, grab my bow off the hook and draw. Ive tried to stand and get ready to draw while theyre off a ways, but as soon as they get within 60 yds, they just seem to pick me off, no matter how high and camo'ed up i am. Ive never bowhunted this late in the season, and I really underestimated how well deer can see w/ no tree cover whatsoever. Im going out all day tuesday, which is the last day of deer season here in NY, for 1 final attempt to fill my last tag. any tips on staying hidden? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

By now, many of the deer have been spooked to some degree. They have busted numerous guys up in trees throughout the season, and they're hip to that game. It is tough this time of year. keep plugging! I'll be in tomorrow, regardless of the 18" of snow.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck EI,

My plan of attack is gonna be to sit in a really high tree I was scoping out from my usual tree i sit in on this funnel ,im going to try to hang my climber on the opposite side of the tree from where deer usually approach, so I can at least use the tree trunk as some sort of cover. i usually dont like to do that cause it limits the shots you can take but theres just no way to hide any other way.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres the best tip! Don't do what I am doing....because what I'm doing is not working!!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Some thoughts:
Try to find where two or three tree trunks are growing up close to one another and get in between the trunks. Poplar trees around here will sometimes sprout three good-sized trunks from a single bole.

Try to keep from getting silhouetted - hug the tree and/or lay your upper torso and head against the tree when deer approach.

Climb higher. (How high are you? - I usually like my platform at least 20' high and will occasionally get up to 30').

I hunt trees, not deer, lol.

-fsh
Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Jump down on them like Rambo..lol... the deer around me are totally nocturnal from the gun season pressure.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunt food sources
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Spike

Bucks over here are nocturnal as well..Got till the end of Jan. over here and now we got weather..
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
hunt food sources
actually the ground is still loaded w/ acorns everywhere, i dont have any problems finding deer, in fact im having more of a problem seeing too many deer! I cant draw on any one deer cause theres at least one set of eyes on me, at all Xs, when deer are in range.

Im about 20 feet high at the foot but the hill im on, puts me about 30ft above the game trail.

Its just unbelievale how far away they seem to pick up on the slightest moment and sound. anyone who thinks suburban deer are pushovers should try these deer in dec. if they want a challenge.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I wish I had your problem of seeing to many deer. I haven't seen a deer while hunting in a month, I'm not kidding...... It sucks where I'm at... and nothing I can do about it. I have no where else to hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.