Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips? >

Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dyb3and88
I wish I had your problem of seeing to many deer. I haven't seen a deer while hunting in a month, I'm not kidding...... It sucks where I'm at... and nothing I can do about it. I have no where else to hunt.
sorry to hear that, wish i could help. wheres hoarsehead?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your body up against the trunk so your not silouette. 2 or 3 real close together are great also.
I'm in a 15 ft. ladder, multiple deer & have no problem getting a shot if I wanted. Oh, I don't hang my bow-it's lays across my lap & I always shoot sitting down.
With all the Gun Seasons ending all the deer are on edge & with all the SNOW in our area, stressed even more.
Good Luck....
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
actually the ground is still loaded w/ acorns everywhere, i dont have any problems finding deer, in fact im having more of a problem seeing too many deer!
When did you want me up there?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

try to use trees with natural cover.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
sorry to hear that, wish i could help. wheres hoarsehead?
I am about 12 miles north of Elmira, or about 20 miles south of Ithaca.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am about 12 miles north of Elmira, or about 20 miles south of Ithaca.
wow thats about 3hours from me. Ive found the closer I am to town, the more deer I see around here. Rockland co., middletown, monroe, etc. are over run w/ deer.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

The problem around here is everyone has there land posted. So I'm limited to where I can hunt... It sucks... I'm lucky that I even have a spot to hunt at all around here. The guy a 1/4 mile up the road from me had 35 acers and thats the only place I have to hunt. And there is nothing on that property to keep the deer there besides to bed down in the very very thick stuff, like on your hand and knees to walk through it thick. Then the deer don't even come out till after dark... I have had deer in my back yard the last few night, but again its after dark. There was so much hunting pressure from gun season around me that the deer are still spooked, and wont come out till dark. Its impossible to do a spot and stalk right now too because what snow that is on the ground is so crunchy you cant sneak around without everything within 100 yards hearing you. And there really isn't any state land. there is Connecticut hill, which is state land, but I don't have doe tags for there. And again, going to be the same problem up there. Its hunted so hard during gun season from out of state people. This whole season, gun included, had been very bad. Its discouraging to go out and sit for countless hours and never seeing anything. I have no motivation to even go out for the last 2 days of the season because its been such a waist of time this year. I have even thought about not even getting a license next year. The price has doubled from last year. I think it coast me about $40 something last year. And this year it cost me $80 something.....Thanks to our great Governor...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year, at least here in PA is COLD and usually breezy. It can be downright nasty out there.

I usually try to hunt from daylight to 9 or 10 if I can hack it that long and then usually wait until 3 or so to head back out in the afternoon. I try to hunt the peak movement times and that is it. No sense freezing to death trying to hunt all day.

Good, wind breaking clothing, many layers and lots of chemical handwarmers are a must when its in the single digits in the AM and teens in the afternoon.

It sure beats sittin in front of the TV staring at the ol' lady.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

The price has doubled from last year. I think it coast me about $40 something last year. And this year it cost me $80 something.....Thanks to our great Governor...
Honestly, I wouldn't even have a problem if Pa doubled their license costs when I think of all of the many great days I get to sit in the quiet woods where there are none of life's hassels. Just the peace I get from it is worth WAY more than the cost of a license. Yes, it's great seeing deer, but if I don't it's no biggy.

In fact I'll be going in for an evening hunt around 1:00PM. We've got 18" of snow on the ground and quite honestly the "odds" of me seeing deer are low, but it will still be a beautiful "winter wonder land". You know, the kind of scene you might see on a Christmas card? That's REALLY why the cost of a license isn't an issue to me.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Spike

I have hunted a lot in the late season and agree it can be tough to go unnoticed (Seen or smelled) in a tree this time of year. MY TIP: Get yourself a good ground blind! I have killed quite a few late season from a blind. Plus it blocks the wind and makes it easier to deal with the cold weather this time of year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.