Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Will screw in steps kill... >

Will screw in steps kill...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will screw in steps kill...

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

No they won't kill a tree. I wouldn't leave them in if you are worried about the trees however. You will have a hard time getting them out in the future if left in.

I would recommend starting to save your money and get a set of climbing sticks. I used screw in steps for years but there is no comparison to a set of sticks. You can set a hang on stand with them as quick as you can get up a tree with a climber. They really are amazing. Best investment I have made in years.

A couple things with the steps. Make absolutely SURE they are tight in the tree before you step on them. They don't work very well in Trees with deep bark like an old Cottonwood, they will pull out of bark. If there is frost and they are just metal they will be slick when climbing, be carfeful on cold mornings. Be very careful when climbing them, if you fall or slip and land on one it will be like a gut hook.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
They will damage the value of any tree that may be cut for lumber - especially veneers.
The REAL reason PA does not allow you to use screw in steps. They use the b/s line that it "kills" the tree. ..to be expected from the pgc though...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell no they won't kill the tree. My dad's used them for 40 years and I've been using them for 24 years. Don't use the same hole's though If you pull them out one year and put them back In the same hole, your asking for It then.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wont kill a tree but it might reduce the value of the tree if cut for lumber.States that prohibit using them or constructing stands do so in case they do a cutting to prevent possible injury to the worker if there's a step or nails left in the tree.I'd suggest using strap on steps.Screwing steps into hardwood trees is not fun where allowed.