HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Will screw in steps kill... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/312143-will-screw-steps-kill.html)

125py 12-10-2009 08:55 AM

Will screw in steps kill...

Will screw in steps kill a tree? The reason I ask is because I would rather use a lock on stand than a ladder stand, but I only have one tree big enough where I want to hang the stand and I dont want to kill it. I already have the screw in steps so I dont want to buy any climbing sticks or that sort of thing.

BvrHunter 12-10-2009 09:26 AM

My Dad has had screw in steps in three or four of our stands for every bit of 15 years, and I don't think the tree has noticed yet. Givin that your not screwing them into a really small diameter tree, which would be pointless IMO, I would think your good.

sportsman22 12-10-2009 09:38 AM

I think certain tree yes. But not all.

my7pointmonster 12-10-2009 10:41 AM

No. I know a guy who's been using screw in steps for the same about 15 years and he's never had a problem with the tree. Drops acorns every year. Usually pretty dang heavy also.

Ryan.

Kris24 12-10-2009 11:28 AM

Been wondering about this myself. Also, do you take them out each year, or leave them in? And if you leave them in how long does it take before they rot in two. The last thing I want to do is step on a step that breaks under my foot.

Howler 12-10-2009 12:52 PM

It won't kill a tree, and if you leave the steps in for a long period of time the steps will actually get harder to unscrew out of the tree. Actually, doesn't take but about one season for the steps to get harder to remove.
Will the steps eventually rot, probably. BUT it'll take many years for that to happen.
One thing I do to make them easier to screw in is to use a short piece of 1/2" pvc pipe that I slip over the step and this allows the step to rotate easily while I have some thing to hang onto firmly as I screw them in.

SteveBNy 12-10-2009 02:23 PM

They will damage the value of any tree that may be cut for lumber - especially veneers.

my7pointmonster 12-10-2009 04:01 PM

Yeah, that's true however most of the trees that they use for veneers they also have to make about 45 passes around before it will make the tree square enough that it will peel a long piece, just think about all the times you've missed a deer with a gun. That's as bad or worse because you can remove the steps, the bullett you can't.
I wouldn't worry about damaging the trees.

Ryan.

LKNCHOPPERS 12-10-2009 04:11 PM

I have used screw in tree steps for many years. I have never seen them kill a tree. When you go back the next year to put them in, the old hole from the step is closed up.

rack tracker 12-10-2009 05:10 PM

Screw in steps can harm a tree, it depends if you own it or not. What I have found is that timber owners are protective of there trees!!!!!!!!!!!