Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
WHen it rains it pours and i am usasly the one out in it. >

WHen it rains it pours and i am usasly the one out in it.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHen it rains it pours and i am usasly the one out in it.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I know this is an odd question and I don't mean to be rude but with shoulder problems have you thought about using a crossbow for your bow hunting and a light caliber (.243 perhaps) for your rifle choice until the issue is resolved? That way your not hurting while doing something that you obviously have a passion for.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter

no... why?

What, you hunt in 50 mph winds?
Yes... the deer don't teleport to a different continent because it's windy. They are still out there. Good time to still hunt some standing corn or swail , hunt from the ground in low lying areas. It's only wind
Old 12-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
Yes... the deer don't teleport to a different continent because it's windy. They are still out there. Good time to still hunt some standing corn or swail , hunt from the ground in low lying areas. It's only wind
I agree If your going to hunt In these condition's this would be the best tactic but 50 mph Is still 50 mph. Arrows don't exactly fly great In them condition's regardless of the terrain your In, especially the light grained low FOC arrow set ups.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes i have. I meant to go to the dnr office and get the form for the permit ti use a crossbow during early bow season. I forgot. Your not rude it is a valid point. This ant going to stop my hunting. One way or another i will be out there. My hope is i will know by the end of DEC and be headed toward having it fit sometime late jan early FEB. Which will but me back into the woods next season with no problem.
Originally Posted by bigpapa
I know this is an odd question and I don't mean to be rude but with shoulder problems have you thought about using a crossbow for your bow hunting and a light caliber (.243 perhaps) for your rifle choice until the issue is resolved? That way your not hurting while doing something that you obviously have a passion for.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm more concerned with falling trees/limbs when the winds hit 35+. I agree, the deer are still there, but I won't risk my own safety for a deer.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Man if it needs surgery i would go ahead and do it and get it over with. I had a shoulder injury from motocross racing and just let it go. One morning i wake up and my arm felt like concrete i couldnt raise my arm. It just got worse and worse and to the point to where i could hardly dram my bow. I went in and a bone on the end of my collar bone had chipped off. I had to sit out of racing but was back hunting that same fall. Kind of like what my mom told me. better to fix it now than to wait and it get even worse and you not be able to pull a bow back at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt any available time I have not gona shoot a deer from the couch
Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Ya i know i hate the dam things. Last one made it worst. I was not going to let him give me one. but i figured he was moving toward finding the issue and i hope it will help with the therapy. Atleast i got some good news i lost 12 pounds. Must have been the vomit session i had for three days with a stomach virus thats going around
Funny thing is my 3rd injection made my shoulder pain worsen! 1 month later I was under the knife! Good luck! Shoulder surgery is painful but better in the long run!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree If your going to hunt In these condition's this would be the best tactic but 50 mph Is still 50 mph. Arrows don't exactly fly great In them condition's regardless of the terrain your In, especially the light grained low FOC arrow set ups.
Well I'm not exactly going to be flinging 45 yarders in an open field from 20 feet in a tree. Limit your shots, get where the wind is blocked to an extent, and hunt. I've killed a lot of deer when it was "too windy or rainy or snowy or sleety" to go out. I have areas and blinds setup just for these conditions.