Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to Spot & Stalk >

How to Spot & Stalk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to Spot & Stalk

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Question How to Spot & Stalk

Being new to bowhunting I have heard about Spot & Stalk hunting but have seen no specific details on how to do it exactly. Also what do you do when you are going in for the final 100 yds?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Stay low and out of sight... Don't do much of that in Iowa, but when I was out hunting muleys a few years ago thats what you did... Stayed low and out of sight
Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or try to pick your times to do this when it's windy, or raining, or a soft snow cover. And walk into the wind is a must. I've never done this either, just relaying what Ive heard or read.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting this way. Each situation changes things a bit. Basically you just need to try to stay out of site as much as possible. I like just slowly walking through wood lots and looking every few steps and trying to catch movement. It is very easy to get in a hurry and spook alot of animals up. There are times that you probably should walk a little faster if you are sure no deer are around don't waste too much time.

The reason I love doing this is because I love hiking around in the woods and just exploring new areas all the time. I have had times were I spotted deer or even heard them before I could see them while walking around and they were coming right toward me. It is a fun expirience.

rain snow or wind are very helpful at coving some of the sounds up as someone already suggeted.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spot and stalk IMO really varies depending on where you hunt. Everything from open plains, logging clear cuts, or rolling hills and each situation will require a different technique. The basics though would be:

1- get a great pair of bino's and a great spotter
2- get as high as you can and make sure that the position you are in puts your viewing area actual areas that deer would be in. Just because your high on a mountain and can see for miles doesn't mean your going to see a deer
3-watch him, see what he is doing and his attitude (alert, care free etc). Wait him out until he is in an area that you can get to
4-on the way in, keep the wind in your face, don't skyline yourself and KEEP USING YOUR BINO's as you get closer. Many times there are more deer than you think.
5- to close the last bit of distance your style will vary based on location and the situation.

NOTE: When I said good bino's I mean GOOD bino's. If you cannot afford good glass you can bet that you will miss atleast 40% of the deer (this is a fact I proved hunting with friends). Be in shape because a deer 1 mile away as the birds fly, could take you 2 hours to get to based on your location.

Good Luck
Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I stalked once before when it was raining. It was fun, got within like 10 yards of two doe. I would like to get good at it in fair conditions.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

While that may be a way to kill deer in some areas, where I hunt (public land) you're NOT going to kill a deer that way.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt almost exclusively on public land, spot and stalk and still hunting is my preferred method of hunting.
Keep the wind in your favor, go slow, don't silhoutte yourself, and keep your eyes peeled. Binoculars help quite a bit.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default my most memorable kill was a spot and stock

I saw this forky grazing 80 yards ahead with a spike. the wind was in my favor and the ground was wet and quiet. It took 2 hrs but I closed the gap to 52 yds when he gave me a broadside opp. The magnus stinger made a clean passthough and I had the most fulfilling hunt of my life

Last edited by Nalgi; 01-09-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, good job Nalgi.......velvet and everything! Any suggestions you have from having to approach that slow (i.e. where go hold your bow, etc)?