HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to Spot & Stalk
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
JNTURK
Nontypical Buck

Spot and stalk IMO really varies depending on where you hunt. Everything from open plains, logging clear cuts, or rolling hills and each situation will require a different technique. The basics though would be:

1- get a great pair of bino's and a great spotter
2- get as high as you can and make sure that the position you are in puts your viewing area actual areas that deer would be in. Just because your high on a mountain and can see for miles doesn't mean your going to see a deer
3-watch him, see what he is doing and his attitude (alert, care free etc). Wait him out until he is in an area that you can get to
4-on the way in, keep the wind in your face, don't skyline yourself and KEEP USING YOUR BINO's as you get closer. Many times there are more deer than you think.
5- to close the last bit of distance your style will vary based on location and the situation.

NOTE: When I said good bino's I mean GOOD bino's. If you cannot afford good glass you can bet that you will miss atleast 40% of the deer (this is a fact I proved hunting with friends). Be in shape because a deer 1 mile away as the birds fly, could take you 2 hours to get to based on your location.

Good Luck