Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!! >

Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!!

Hold on guys. Before you get your panties in a bunch, i'm just stirring the pot. I couldn't resist after reading that thread. I would like to keep this one more friendly!

Just wanted to start a thread with the story of everyones first deer and bring everyone down to an even playing field and maybe even enjoy reading this thread! Since the last was no fun at all.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll start,

I was 11 and it was the Ohio gun opener. I was so excited the night before that I couldn't sleep. It would be the first time that I got to go deer hunting with my gramps and all the guys I looked up to and carry a gun. Gramps showed up right on time and picked me up. We drove back the long and bumpy field road to the backside of my farm. We met the other guys where we always did and decided where everyone was going for the day. Since it was my first hunt I got first pick and of course I chose the best spot on the property, the Hog Back stand!

So gramps and I trudged all the way to the back of the farm and down to a bench just above the river. We sat down and eagerly awaited the warmth of the sun. Morning came and with it the first shots of the season. I was antsy to say the least. Gramps kept telling me to be patient and it would pay off. We sat all day without seeing so much as a white flag!

Evening was fast approaching and I was losing faith. Gramps was not detered and kept telling me that they would be moving through about dark. Sure enough about 15 minutes before shooting light 5 deer appeared from the hemlocks on our right side and moved up the draw and onto the bench we were sitting on. My gun was at the ready and before gramps could say shoot when your ready BOOOOM! The 870 hastings barreled Remington roared. All the deer left but one! I was the happiest little hunter in the whole state at that moment. All the guys in our hunting party came and congradulated me. It was then and there I knew I was going to be a hunter for the rest of my life.

It is 10 years and many deer later, and i will never forget the feeling of accomplishment and commeraderie i got that day!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Spike

Mine was back in about 1982. I lived up in The Dalles, Oregon and my dad and I headed out to the woods. We hit some dirt roads real early in the morning, just looking for some forest to hunt. We saw some good looking timber and walked across the clearing to the edge of it. My dad told me he had to take a dump and he would walk over a ways and then we'd meet up a bit later. I started walking into the timber and saw it dropped into a deep canyon about 50 yards ahead.
As I walked to the edge of the canyon, I heard some crackling leaves and twigs snapping below. I thought "how could my dad have made it all the way down there already?" As i looked over the edge, there HE was. A nice 4 point muley quartering slightly away and walking into the canyon. He had no idea I was there. I quickily raised my 7mm Magnum and took aim. Pow! Right in the neck. He dropped on the spot and rolled a ways downhill. My dad quickly aborted his crap and came running over to find a very excited 17 year old boy jumping up and down yelling "I got him, I got him!"
Anyway, we then gutted him and had to drag him about 100yds straight up the canyon. Very exciting!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great morning! I always like to hear these stories, gives me that great nastalgic feeling!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

I was 12. First day hunting. I was with my Dad and two uncles. I shot a buck, and he was probably the smallest 3 point you'd ever seen. I was the only one out of 11 in camp that got a buck (PA in 2001, if it had antlers, it was down). Seeing all the older guys I looked up to celebrating what I did was one of the coolest experiences of my life. That day hooked me on the sport and by the next year I had a bow. I think it was definitely worth it, changed my life.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine was a 10 pointer, saw him when I came out of the woods one afternoon with a limit of squirrels...Hunted him for a week before he showed again...This was in the late 60s...

Killed him with a 22-250...
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer was an 8 point. I drug a stand I had built about 3/4 a mile to put it where I wanted it. He came through first morning of opening season at 9:30 trailing a doe. That was 1979.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Spike

I am 15 years old and have only gotten one deer. i lived in massachussetts and you couldnt hunt up there till you were 13. my dad bought me a pse and i went out in the woods. i had alot of bucks just not one that i would feel good about so i wated. finally when i moved to texas we got a leas. it was late season in january and i decided i was going to take a doe if one came in. sure enough i heard a twig snap and she came in at 20 yards and i blasted her with a heart shot. i was so excited and i now i think i am more in to hunting then my dad who has been doing it for 20 years.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

First buck came when i was 13

The group I was with drove deer the first three and a half days of rifle season with much success...me being younger, i was not elected as a poster.

We pushed a 20 acre or so patch of woods out and i heard shooting out in the field, thinking someone must be pretty pleased. I solidered on, in about knee deep snow, this was 1995 in NE PA. I come to a cleared out patch between the woods we were pushing and it is standing corn, I notice a deer at the edge of the corn and he is coming my way. I sat down right in the snow, rested off a blow down, he came within 40 yards and I made a poor shot through his hind quarters as he angled towards me...he then ran above me in deeper snow in the woods to my left...he was having trouble getting through the snow...I run like all get out to catch up to him and he is standing behind a hemlock, I have one shot at his neck and take it...he drops...i start shaking like all get out

He was a 12" wide 7 point and I will never forget the look on my dad's face when I came down off the woods and all the rest of the posters and drivers were there saying "man, what took you so long coming through the drive?"

"Well, I shot twice and got my first buck"

Great day, many deer later, never forget this one.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine first deer was 4 years ago. I had NO interest in hunting until 2 weeks until opening day of rifle season. Thanks to my awesome dad he went all out and bought me a rifle and found us place for us to hunt.

The first 2 weeks of rifle season, we only saw like 3 deer, all of which came out after dark. Then as we were feeling desperate, with 6 days left to hunt, I took a 350 yard shot at a doe with my .243. I hit her, but being inexperieced I forgot to watch where she ran to. We only found a little pile of blood at POI.

Moving on to the final 2 days of hunting season, Thanksgiving weekend. My dad had a friend that owned 1600 acres of farmland about and hour away. As soon as we find out we can go we head out. We get there Friday evening and do a quick evening hunt, no success.

The next morning, we head to a different spot watching a creek bottom at the bottom of a field. As me and my dad sit against a tree on top of a quilt, in the cool crisp morning, we wait for the sunrise. Right after first light, we see a deer come out of the bottom. "Ok, here we go Trev, here's your chance" my dad says. I'm so excited im shaking literally like a leaf. Not caring whether the deer was female or male I take 3 deeeeeep breaths and POW! with the trusty .243. I look up and see the deer jump 10 feet and the air and I know I put a good hit on it. I jump hoopin and hollerin "I GOT HIM!!!" I lay my rifle down and take off after it. There it layed not 50 yards from where I shot it, a beautiful 8 pointer. Not only my first buck, but also my first deer. I'll never forget that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.