Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowfishen Gar

Old 06-01-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Bowfishen Gar

Hey guys. I was wondering, is there anyway you can bait gar to come to the surface? I ahve a place with lots of fish, but there so spread out and sparatic that its tough to get shots, and i have no idea on what they eat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:00 PM

Default RE: Bowfishen Gar

I saw about a 6ft. gar sittin on the top of the water one time with a dead brim its mouth, chompin on it.
Don' t know if that will help any, I just thought it was cool to sit there and watch, and wish I had my bowfishing rig with me.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:25 AM

I don' t know about baiting them but I' ve been finding them where smaller ditches empty into the river. It is still getting cool at night here and that warm water coming in from the shallow streams draws them in. I think when the water temp starts going up they will surface more regularly to fill thier bladders or something and if you are in the right place at the right time you' ll find bunches of them " rolling" .

I think baiting them would be more trouble than its worth because when you start shooting holes in them they have a tendancy to thin out as if they have some " smarts" to them; reguardless of what seems to be drawing them in. Besides, I never consider bowfishing to require bait. If they aren' t biting it really doesn' t matter because we don' t give them the option[>:].

BTW, if a hard core bowfisherman mentions " bait" , they are most likely referring to barley and hops in an easy open aluminum container (beer).

Have fun stickin some slimeys, and watch those banks; they sure are slick- (don' t ask)[:@].

-Chief
Old 06-02-2003, 01:47 PM

I think cheifheadhunter has it right. Baiting them would seem to be more trouble than it' s worth. They typically eat live fish(minnows, shad, carp, etc.)
They usually are coming to the top to gulp air not eat. Good luck-it' s almost the time of year to start shootin' at night.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:52 PM

Thanks guys. Your probably right on the baiting, that would be more trouble than anything. I guess ill try the night bowfishen, ive got some buddies that would hold lights for me. lol. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:15 AM

I need one guy to hold the light and one to hold the boat still[]!

-Don' t ask[:@]!

-Chief
Old 06-14-2003, 05:25 PM

Baiting is a pain but if you want to. Burlap sack with dog food, sank in shallow water of two feet or less. I guide bowfishing in fresh and salt water offshore. We bowfish from airboats in freshwater and brackish water and a 28' Mako offshore. Good luck.