Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to look for.. >

What to look for..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to look for..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default What to look for..

Today I was lucky enough to talk with a guy that visits the gas station I work at on a daily basis. Hisfamily owns 1000+ acres and he basically said I could have 44 of them to myself to hunt. This land has about 4-5 acres of oaks and othr trees. It splits a 35 acres corn field in half, it's shaped like and arrow head and has a small pond on each side. ( I will have a picture from google earth tomorrow). Pretty much what I need to know is what do I do? I'm a very very newhunter and I don't know what to look for when scouting.. I will have a blind and wil use my bow.. Any tips or advice is GREATLy appreciated.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, you are one lucky Dude! First off I would go to Bing and get a picture of the acreage also get the topo map and print these off. Look for funnels or pinch points. Find out which direction the wind typically blows from, maybe the owner can fill you in. When you get on the ground look for fresh scrapes and heavily traveled trails. While you are on the property scout! Also take care and not to blow such and awsome opportunity pick up what you take in and pick up trash if you see it

Have a good hunt and take good notes for next year!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! And scent control... I don't need to worry about it do I? It's not like I'll spray down in cologne or anything, but idk.. Lol
is it too late in the year to use doe estrous and those scent wicks?

**Scent control lie when I'm scouting.. I plan on going tomorrow after school.. When I hunt I sprays down with scent killerand all my clothes stay outside.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

It's never too late to use scent control if you want to kill a deer.

The advice about picking up your trash and any other you find will go a long way towards making this a long term arrangement.
Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I just got back, this place is hot. I wasn't there 5 minutes and found a nice scrape and literally looked up to see a big bodied 8-10 pointer chasin does. This weekend will be fun, the rut is still on.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

First you gotta change your avatar pic...cant haul a deer in that. LOL

Yes, you ALWAYS want to worry about your scent, those deer would prob be less offended by cologne than pure human scent. Find a good pinch point, inside corner, travel route to and from bedding areas, food sources. And you should be good to go, if you sit and keep seeing deer somewhere else, out of range...move.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

it'll be that car till I get my first buck. IvE got my eyes on a beautiful 8 pointer and I know where he's been bedin and how he gets there I'm settin up a blind about 15-20 yds off his trail in a bunch of cedars. He chased 3 does down a small little clearing tonight, he's gonna get an arrow thrown at him sometime before januAry 18th