Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Wow. It IS actually possible. >

Wow. It IS actually possible.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wow. It IS actually possible.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Spike

Default Wow. It IS actually possible.

Well, I started bow hunting in 2005, and it seemed as if I were cursed the whole time. I would go out time after time and not see deer. If I did see deer, very few would come within range or I would miss the shot. I was beginning to think It was impossible to kill a deer with a bow.

After not seeing a deer all season, I went out on the morning of November 15, and decided to sit in an old stand that my father and I built 8 years ago or so. Upon climbing into the stand, I realized that it was rotting out and was not safe. I was gonna get down (would have been the smarter idea), but decided to stay. I had a 1'x1' corner I could stand on without falling through. I saw a nice doe come out into the field right at sunrise, then saw a yearling with her. I thought they were gonna skirt the edge of the woods, out of range, but the yearling ran right toward my stand and stopped at about 15 yards. Hit her with my Rage 2 blades, and she ran about 30 yards. Felt good to finally be successful with my bow. I have a new-found sense of confidence about me.

She went about 90 pounds. Nothing real impressive, but good eating that I am proud of!
Attached Thumbnails Wow. It IS actually possible.-downsized_1115090709.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Hey great job and way to keep at it.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing like getting that first one under your belt!
Congratulations
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Persistence is key with bowhunting, I was in the same boat you were in, it sucks but when I got that first one I was in shock for a long time. Congratulations and way to stick with it!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Red face You know, I've had alot of misfires too...

but once I put something down my whole archery success went crazy! Good luck your success' will continue
Old 11-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, nowyou just have a stand to rebuild.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you finally have success it reminds you why you keep coming back doesn't it?If it was easy everyone would be doing it...good job of hanging in there! I was lucky on my first hunt and scored on a antlerless and it spoiled me.I have to remember there is going to be bust years.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Spike

Yes, the success made the whole thing worth it. I really do need to replace that stand. Come to think of it, most of the deer I've killed with my shotgun have been out of the same stand. Think I'm gonna put a ladder up there.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gladius87
Well, I started bow hunting in 2005, and it seemed as if I were cursed the whole time. I would go out time after time and not see deer. If I did see deer, very few would come within range or I would miss the shot. I was beginning to think It was impossible to kill a deer with a bow.

After not seeing a deer all season, I went out on the morning of November 15, and decided to sit in an old stand that my father and I built 8 years ago or so. Upon climbing into the stand, I realized that it was rotting out and was not safe. I was gonna get down (would have been the smarter idea), but decided to stay. I had a 1'x1' corner I could stand on without falling through. I saw a nice doe come out into the field right at sunrise, then saw a yearling with her. I thought they were gonna skirt the edge of the woods, out of range, but the yearling ran right toward my stand and stopped at about 15 yards. Hit her with my Rage 2 blades, and she ran about 30 yards. Felt good to finally be successful with my bow. I have a new-found sense of confidence about me.

She went about 90 pounds. Nothing real impressive, but good eating that I am proud of!

those 90 lb deer taste better than trophy's.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take that deer anyday......congrats! Take care of that stand!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.