Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Scent Lok Lawsuit Update >

Scent Lok Lawsuit Update

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok Lawsuit Update

Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'll continue to use it whether it stops scent or not, simply because the clothing is always high quality.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

What a friggin joke. The lawsuit AND the product. How is he going to prove that the deer winded him? A deer could smell ANYTHING. Bad breath, grease, make-up, old aftershave, hair, who knows what else.

I'm not sure who is the idiot here. The ones that believe that it works, the ones pursuing the lawsuit, or the judge that actually listens to the case.

Why not just learn how to hunt the wind??

Duh?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO.......it is to good to be true! I would never buy scent lok and I think there are way to many things then just your clothes that give you away. I hear guys all the time "If it gives me that little added advantage then it has accomplished what I intended it to do." IMO......that carbon stuff is a joke. There are three simple things that anyone can do to HELP them not get winded regardless of scent lok. 1. Take a freaking scent free shower before you go into the woods. 2. Wash your clothes in scent free soap after every hunt. 3. Keep your clothes as scent free as possible from the time you wash them till the time you enter the woods!

I have seen time after time guys in scent lok think they can walk through a gas spill before they hunt thinking they will go undetected.......hogwash! Save your money and take the steps mentioned above into more consideration then rushing out to buy some marketing ploy! I can see the next great invention out there to take the hunting world by storm and it isnt that stupi acorn chomper! Here it is.....a camo plastic bubble to go around your platform which has O2 tanks and filters your air before it re-enters the outside world. Its a one time thing cause you could shot through it. If I could make it practical and cheap guys would be all over it!

Last edited by mahoningbuck; 11-29-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Here is some information that I found someone said about the case. I’m not sure if it is true or not.

Quote:
“Not to defend Scent Lok, I don't use their product, and I really don't know much about them as a company this post is the first time I ever looked at this, I thought I would point a couple things out. First the request to enjoin a class action lawsuit was denied in August. That actually helps Scent Lok in a couple ways. First, each plantiff will have to bring a seperate action with a different and unique set of case facts and request for damages. Each plantiff will seperately have to prove not only that the product was defective, was sold knowingly defective with intent to deceive, and that each plantiff had specific damages related specifically to their product.
Assuming that all these things could be proven the question becomes; what are the damages in the case. There are really two calculations, actual damages and puntative damages. Actual would be based on the cost of the Scent Lok product. Respondents counter would be that the cost of a scent lok product is relatively the same as another hunting garment and the plantiff did receive a usable hunting garmet. It would be up to a judge to decide the equity of that arguement but it ultimately will only be for a fairly small amount of money. The question becomes whether there is a substantial chance of receiving punatative damages. In that case the judge, (possibly jury) would decide if there was substantial enough evidence that the company operated in bad faith and wanted to punish them by awarding money. The risk that you have to take is whether your case, as a plaintiff, is strong enough that you will be awarded enough punative damages to cover your legal fees. Sometimes legal fees are awarded but it is never a sure bet and a plantiff is just as likely to lose and have to pay Scent Lok.
Second, on the topic of marketing claims, especially advertising slogans, it is really buyer beware.” Viator 12-2-09
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

"Your Honor, I'd like to bring Joe B. Buck to the stand"
"The court confirms the witness is a whitetail deer......proceed"
"Mr. Buck, can you smell the plantif"
"One grunt for yes, two grunts for no"
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can anyone explain why the Military uses forms of carbon clothing?
Chemical war.

I'm not sure who is the idiot here. The ones that believe that it works
Yep.

Last edited by bigbulls; 12-03-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never used it. Never believed it worked. And always thought that anybody that spent that kind of money for a hunting outfit was a *** wipe...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default Military Chemical suits work better

I have used those ridicuously priced scent-lok suits for two seasons. I then bought a Military chemical suit for this years season. I have found that the military suit has more concentrated carbon than those scent-lok suits. Those scent lok and scent blocker suits are pretty much useless after 1 season due to the fact the consumer can't get the suit to a temperature to re-activate it. The Military Chemical suit should last for 2 to 3 seasons of average use for only about $50.00. I recommend only washing once when you purchase one. You then need to hang dry outside on an extra hot day in the summer.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

I use a digital scent monitoring device instead of that garbage. Just put your finger in your mouth, remove, hold it out. Whichever side dries is the direction you walk. Wonder what Fred Bear would do? He had the best camo ever!! Let's see.....

Khaki pants
red/black flannel
brown hat
boots, or in the case of Africa high-top basketball shoes...black of course.

too bad he missed out on scent lok, he could have been a legend.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are quite a few brands of hunting clothing that do not use carbon or any other type of odor reducing material in their products and they can cost the same if not more than Scent Lok. Most high quality camo is gonna cost you.

I bought the Scent Lok this year and I have not had a deer bust me yet. I have had them under the ladder of my stand sniffin right where I walked and they hung around for quite some time, and even had several bucks downwind of me that didnt bust me.

Im not saying that its ALL do to the fact of the carbon clothing, but hey I believe it helps. As stated before, If you like it buy it, if not dont worry about it. Its not your money they are spending so go on about your own business.

I like Scent lok, and I wont hesitate to purchase from the company again.