Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just a stupid question >

Just a stupid question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just a stupid question

Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all I have shot big deer and I have shot little deer.. That doesn't make any difference to me at all.. I can only shoot 1 deer in my area and that is it. It has to be a buck and not any does at all.. If I happen to come across a young buck so be it.. He is more tender as someone has already stated. Also I keep in mind that a big buck would be nice to have but the deer herd up here needs them to. The big bucks are by far wiser than a young one. He can help take his herd to safer grounds when the snow starts flying. He has survived enough winters to know what coyotes do to them as well. Although even those big bucks fall to predators in the winter months up here. Does it still mean it is bad to shoot a young buck or should every one wait it out like you suggest? I currently have 3 of Me.'s big buck patches that I have earned and I will still take a young buck if I happen upon one..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 11-28-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

i use to shoot some little does or bucks but now mostly i just watch them, never cared about if someone else would shoot them i just know i didnt shoot it,but if some other hunter chooses to shoot little deer im ok with that.i still might shoot one if i get that feeling that day

i just dont see any reasoning in putting extra time into hunting im out to enjoy hunting not to make it hard or use it to stroke my ego, honestly i hunt does first, you all kill yourself on this hobby and take it so seriously that you have to try and belittle other hunters because they are having fun without putting extra time into it,a deer is just a deer.i aint getting payed to hunt.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

But, proper deer management in any area would raise the deer population as well as raise the quality of the deer on said property.
Well first of all shooting does is not going to help boost deer numbers. Leave just a few bucks and they will still breed every doe on a place. Kill a doe and that's one less fawn born next year.

Second, how exactly does it improve a deer herds health to kill only the biggest, strongest, mature bucks out of it? You know the ones that are obviously genetically superior animals? When you pass on a spike how the heck do you know what kind of genetics he has?

We do what you are talking about on our land, pass the small bucks and wait for the bigger boys. But we have no delusions about it's effect. The only net effect of such practices is to increase buck numbers and horn size. But that is only a desirable outcome if you are a horn hunter. So don't spray any of that QDM bull#### on me about herd health that you have obviously bought into hook line and sinker.

Deer existed on this earth in good health for thousands and thousands of years when the only thing being killed out of their herds were the newly born, the sickly and the crippled by natural predators. They don't need our QDM practices to hang in there.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make it sound like the is a P&Y behind every tree here in Illinois. And we have lack of hunting pressure? I will go out on a limb and say we have more hunting pressure.
Please! You want to talk pressure? Bow season comes in here in Alabama Oct 15th. It is joined by gun season Nov 20th and they both continue together without a break until the end of January. That's three and a half months of bow hunting and two and half months of gun hunting. No tags either. Up until quite recently you could kill a buck and a doe per day all season long. They have gone to a 3 buck limit now but you can still kill as many does as you want. And without a tag system the 3 buck limit is pretty hard to enforce for those that choose to ignore it. A buck that survives to the age of three here has probably had at least 2 close shaves with death. A five year old Alabama buck has probably had to go so nocturnal to reach that age that the only thing that will make him move in daylight is a forest fire.

With the exception of So. Illinois, most of the state is small woodlots, fingers of woods that connect other small wood lots. Unlike Alabama which is mostly massive paper mill tree farms.
Yeah, and the hunting is much simpler in those smaller wood lots as opposed to hunting large blocks of basically featurless timber plantations. Little to nothing at all to funnel the deer past a specific tree on much of the land down here. On the trips I've made up to Illinois I can look at a Google earth photo of a place and tell you in two minutes everywhere on it that a stand needs to be hung. I've sat in a tree up there and seen 11 racked bucks in one morning hunt. You won't see 11 racked bucks down here in a whole 3 1/2 month bow season.

And I dont see Alabama being flooded with non residents.
That's cause you aren't down here. They don't come here to bow hunt that's true. They don't come here looking for big horns like they do when they come to Illinois. But they swarm in here for the long rifle season slaughter hauling full size freezers on flat bed trailers. Alabama has no tag system and one of the cheapest out of state hunting licenses in the country. For a very small price you can come here and theoretically kill about 74 deer per hunter each rifle season. Of course no one person actually kills that many but they can sure kill as many as they like.

So to say that its easy to kill big deer year in and year out even in Illinois is a false statement.
If I lived in Illinois near the land we have hunted up there and had all bow season to hunt instead of just 5 or 6 days per year, it would be a rare year that I did not kill a P&Y buck. And even with very limited days to hunt on total do it yourself hunts I have killed a P&Y buck two out of the 4 years I've gone. And I've seen P&Y deer every year including two close encounters with B&C bucks. And I'm not bragging on my skills but merely the quality of bow hunting in your state.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There you go again with your elitism IL-Cornfed. Simply put, you judge others with a jaded set of lenses. Lenses that do not accurately sense the essence of the hunt.

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
EXACTLY, it's the same thing over and over again! We see it here all the time, folks bitchin' about no big bucks where the hunt, while they are standing over their truck bed with a pair of yearling 6 pointers in the back!

It is my strong opinion that most of these hunters are simply LAZY! They are the type that wouldn't dream of going any extra mile or putting any extra effort into their land, their hunting, anything!

You guys can shoot off any excuses you want to make your selves sound better and thump your chest and proclaim that you are real "hunters" all you want.... but the truth and reality of the situation is a little more difficult to hide with that yearling buck in back of your truck!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it much matters what others do...

Once they buy their license it enables that person to do what they want to do according to the laws. If it says they can shoot little bucks then whom is someone to question that.

People should mind their own business a little more in today's world, we might learn to accept others easier without the hostility it creates. To each to own, simple!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

why do you ask this question im from ny and so are you but you see ny doesnnt have big bucks around every tree like lets say texas
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
I like to hunt big bucks. I am also lucky that my family owns a lot of good land for me to hunt. BUT, persuing big bucks and passing the small ones is a personal choice on my part. Deer horns have only the completely artificial value that we hunters place on them. To some they mean everything and to some people I know they mean nothing. I know people who hunt to put deer meat in their freezer. Period, end of list. And as long as they are not breaking a game law who are you or I to tell them their motivations for hunting are wrong?

It's also easy to pass judgement on people when you get to hunt prime places. Killing any deer with a bow on some highly pressured public place can be more of an accomplishment than killing a huge buck on a private, pristine, untainted Iowa or Illinois corn farm. I've hunting Illinois 4 times now and let me tell you, killing a big buck on private land up there is nothing compared to the challenge of killing one back here in Alabama. Those deer get so little hunting pressure that even 3 and 4 year old bucks up there aren't as cautious and woodwise as most of our does.

If some people waited until they saw a buck that many of you would deem an acceptable trophy then they might hunt the public land they are on for the next 15 years and never draw a bow. Many might get frustrated and give up the sport totally. Would that be better for the future of hunting? A future where we might need every vote to keep the priviledge to hunt?

Want a better question? Here you go. Who the h### are you tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't kill so long as they aren't breaking any rules?
Tod,is 100% correct,this is exactly how I feel.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Spike

a lot of it has to do with where you hunt. Hunted my whole life here in LA and if i would have only shot big bucks i would have never fired a shot. So if you wanted to kill a deer you couldn't wait for horns. Now i'm able to hunt on some really good land in mississippi where you can see a lot of deer and i'm able be mofe selective and i've killed a couple of really nice bucks the last couple of years. In my opinion it has a lot to do with where you can hunt. To say hunters who shoot young deer are not as skilled and patient is silly. I was not anymore skilled these last 2 year than i was the first 25, i just had a different location. We can't all live in whitetail country. We all hunt for different reasons, don't knock one guy because he doesn't see it the same way as you
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

This is one of the most asinine posts I have seen
We understand that some people are meat hunters and also understand some people are trophy hunters as well...But, proper deer management in any area would raise the deer population as well as raise the quality of the deer on said property. So, if people would let the small one's go by for a year or two, they would more than likely be larger the following years... If you "meat hunt", shoot a doe is our answer...
Here's a thought, you and your fiance shoot all the does you see, buy as many bonus permits as you can, and fill your freezers full of doe meat until you see that elusive buck with 3 points on one side. Do this for 3 or 4 years, and let me know just how many deer you have running around your little 13 acres.

We shot 4 deer out of 11 guys at our camp this year, all 1.5 years old, 3 spikes and a 6. We didnt see any other deer. There are still quality bucks up there; I saw a nice 8 point while bow hunting this fall, but didnt get a shot. Deer hunting isn't all about putting big bucks on the wall, we had a hell of a time at camp, told lots of stories and had a blast reminiscing and spending time with good guys. Tell ya what, there's thousands of acres of unhunted public land around where I hunt, next year you and your fianci come on over to WI and give it a go, I'd normally extend an invitation to stop by our camp but you don't sound like our kind of people, so bring a camper and a book, cuz the deer are few and far between, oh and there are no doe tags available, so if you want some good doe meat you'll hafta try and find a fresh road kill on the way up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.