Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANCHOR POINT

Old 06-02-2003, 02:30 PM

Default ANCHOR POINT

REALLY WHATS THE MOST COMMON PT OF ANCHOR.CORNER OF THE MOUTH,BACK OF JAW BONE ETC.MINE IS CORNER OF MY MOUTH BUT WAS WONDERING IF I WENT TO BACK OF JAW BONE TO INCREASE MY DRAW LENGTH ABOUT 3-4 IN HOW MUCH SPEED I WOULD PICK UP. HOW WOULD I DO THAT IF MINE MAXES OUT AT 27 IN WITHOUT EFFECTING CAM ALIGNMENT OR PERFORMANCE.CAN I GO TO A SHORTER CABLE AND LONGER STRING.WOULD 1-2 TO 3-4 IN PRODUCE MUCH MORE SPEED. THANKS
Old 06-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANCHOR POINT

It would be in your best interest to go to a" PRO" shop and find out what your draw length is---YOU DO NOT HAVE A 4 INCH RANGE TO CHOOSE FROM.JMHO.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM

3 to 4 inches would gain about 30 to 40 fps.

But you cannot have the string apex come to the rear of your Jaw[].

When people say they anchor at the rear jaw bone they are saying that there release hand is finding a spot at the jaw line. The string is still at or close to the corner of the mouth.

Your DL is what it is, can' t add 4 inches to it.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:08 PM

Rack' s right , your draw is what it is. but, speed balls and 5 grains per lb or as close as you can get will give you what it' s safely capable of. Besides changing your anchor should be a last resort if you' re comfortable as is.A three point anchor is usually best(release hand anchored at corner of jaw bone,kisser or facsimile of at mouth corner and nose tip on string),changing what you normally use changes everything. Little tricks work too, teflon slide,rest(or fall away)and smooth operating release. I like mine as hair as I can get,just my own thing.Somethings are hype some are not you have to be your own judge ?!!! Just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2003, 10:20 PM

Common anchor point?

You should have more then one anchor to be the least bit accurate.

I have 3 anchor points.

I have always shot with too long of draw, I know it, but it feels right to me.

The first knuckle of my index finger rest on my ear lobe.
The vane touches right below my lip.
The string touches the side of my nose.
My sight is then centered in my peep.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:11 AM

My anchor point is the jaw bone and string touching the end of my nose. This provides me with a consistant anchor. I kinda question the 3" to 4" variance in draw length, I just cant picture what you are doing to have that much difference.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently bought a new bow and went through this draw length dilemma with my bow shop guy. I' ve always shot a 30" draw and shot it ok but he has been insisting that my draw length was 29" and my form was a little off due to shooting the wrong draw length. He claimed that a lot of people are shooting a draw length longer than what they should be shooting and it affects their form and some so bad that they find it hard to change. He' s been a long time friend and in the bow business for 30 years so i decided to take his advice and go with the 29" draw and low and behold he was right. It took just a little getting use to and a little help from him on my form but my groups have drastically increased and i am now very comfortable with the 29" draw. Sure i lost a little speed but i' ll take good form and accuracy over speed anytime. I wish now i would have taken his advice long ago.