Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Am I the only one?? >

Am I the only one??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I the only one??

Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Am I the only one??

I have a major issue with seeing the arrow in flight as well as seeing where I hit the target. It is especially bad when it comes to deer. For years when friends would help me track they would say "where did you hit it"? And I could never tell them because I truly didn't know. I thought at first it was because I wasn't following though with the shot AKA dropping the bow but it wasn't that. I am starting to think it is an eye hand coordination thing since for the life of me could never hit a base ball unless I had a tennis racquet. LOL
Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NJheadhunter71
I have a major issue with seeing the arrow in flight as well as seeing where I hit the target. It is especially bad when it comes to deer. For years when friends would help me track they would say "where did you hit it"? And I could never tell them because I truly didn't know. I thought at first it was because I wasn't following though with the shot AKA dropping the bow but it wasn't that. I am starting to think it is an eye hand coordination thing since for the life of me could never hit a base ball unless I had a tennis racquet. LOL
Forgot to mention THANK THE LORD I am at least a GOOD shot.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps you should invest in a tracer nock. If you have a hard time following the shot, it may help you see it.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I agree with finger. Sometimes I can see mine but sometimes I can't I use both the tracer and lumenok now you will see it and be able to see the hit also.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes what I do is, after I set the pin on what I'm shooting at, I open the other eye. That lets me see where my arrow will hit. I also have lumenok's, they help also. But in a bright sunny day, they are hard to fallow.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the same problem with a shot under 20 yards, over that I don't have a problem at all.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have a buddy that is the SAME way...he cant track an arrow to save his life...even on a target...

shoot with both eyes open and shoot bright and/or contrasting fletching colors...2 green 1 white, 2 green 1 orange, and 2 yellow and 1 orange work well for me...my buddy shoots 2 green 1 orange..my old colors...the other shoots 2 green 1 white...my previous colors as well...i went to 2 yellow and 1 orange just to have different colors lol...but both have troubles...1 cant do it at all....i can stand behind them and track THEIR arrows...

but both close 1 eye...i think thats alot of the problem...the rest is probably lack of focu...they can hit a target and typically shoot decent...but i can tell their follow through and focus isnt there...pick a spot, leave both eyes open, focus on the shot and let the arrow go...your going to see that arrow if both your eyes are open and your focused....

i quit using lighted nocks when i realized they were more trouble than they were worth and i could see my arrow just fine without them....after i said id never hunt without them when i wasnt able to see my arrow each and every shot...

shot my buck at MAYBE 5yds this year...watched the arrow fly and strike right where i sent it...that was on a buck moving after i watched him at 10yds for 5 minutes and was pretty shaken up...i dont know how i had the focus to track the arrow...guess because thats how i been shooting for a few years and its all 2nd nature like my form from shooting so much...

work on it...i believe it'll come if you try shooting with both eyes open and picking a spot and focusing on it...even AFTER the arrow is let loose...alot of guys have a tendancy to not follow through as they are in a hurry to see where they hit..especially shootin deer...oh..use a wrist sling if your not...thats what REALLY helped me follow through...when i went to the wrist sling is when my follow through got good and i could really track my arrow...i had a mental fear of dropping my bow...so bad i death clinched it as soon as i touched the release...my shooting suffured from that...a good follow through, you can feel and watch the bow recoil in your hand...its kinda neat actually..
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem, shot at two deer at dusk this year. One was a miss, the other hit, but in both cases I had no idea where the arrow went. I got sick of that and bought tracer nocks. Problem solved. The next deer I watched the hit. Even helped me find the arrow afterwards.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't follow the arrow either. I don't try to follow my arrow. If you get fixated with this, you are going to be dropping your bow arm to look at the arrow in flight. Some people blink on the shot, which is what I do. It's involuntary.

Against what everyone else is saying, my opinion is to sight your bow in, know where the arrow will hit when a good shot is made. Then when a deer walks in put the pin where the arrow needs to be and fire. Know where its hitting and don't worry about where it is going. Make sense?

If you're a good shot like you say, then you'll have no problem. A lighted nock and bright fletching will help you determine where the arrow stuck after the shot provided it did not pass through the animal. Look for blood on the animal or the arrow fletching sticking out of it after the shot.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even though my eyes are Not as good as they used to be. I seem to always be able to see that Blood Spot pop up!

I agree if you try Firenocks they will make your arrows much more visible in flight.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.