Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Oldest boy is turning up the heat >

Oldest boy is turning up the heat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oldest boy is turning up the heat

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Oldest boy is turning up the heat

I need to start at the beginning, so bear with me.

My oldest boy Zac is as deer crazy as I am, if not more so. He started bow hunting when he was 13. That year he got a shot at a doe, but put the arrow over her back, first time jitters and all.

So, the next year he is playing football and breaks his left arm, his bow season is over before September even got here and since I would not allow him to gun hunt until he bow hunted for two years, his entire deer season was over.

The next year, again playing football, he broke his right arm. Again, bow season done before it even got here. Lucky for him, he was able to get out of his cast two days before shotgun season and was able to take his first deer opening evening.

This year Zac decided not to play football, right or wrong, it was his choice. He said he just did not want to risk missing another year in the stand with his bow. He shot all year, every change he got. He told me he was going to make up for lost time and put the hammer down on a deer with his bow.

His younger brother Hunter (my middle boy) had taken his first deer last year durning our youth firearm season, a small spike buck. Hunter had been giving Zac a real hard time about having as many deer down as he did, plus Hunter's deer was a buck. This only made Zac more determined to do some whacking and stacking with his bow.

Zac's first evening in the stand with his bow and a small button buck made the mistake of stepping in front of him. He was so pumped to finally have taken a deer with his bow, he was smiles ear-to-ear.

However, Hunter turned around this past Sunday and took his first deer with a bow, a small doe. This again evened the score and Hunter made sure Zac knew it.

So with both boys off school yesterday, Zac and Hunter both take to the woods. I get the text message around 1030 from Zac that he just shot a buck. Sure enough, a 4 pointer stopped in front of him at about 25 yards and put a great double lung shot on him. The deer went less that 30 yards before crashing. Talking about a bow who could not stop smiling. He also made sure that Hunter knew now that he was once again ahead, plus his buck was bigger. God you have to love how brother go at it!

Anyways, here are some pictures. 1st is Zac's first bow kill, then Hunter's first bow kill, then Zac's 4 pointer from yesterday.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome Job Zac and Hunter... High Five to you both!!! Nothing wrong with a little family competition me and my father are the same way lol all in good fun of course. Now my six year old son is lookin to get in on some action in a few years... Way to go guys !!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff Kickin! My son has been hunting with me since he was very young, and got his first deer when he was 9, and shot a couple each year since. He just turned 12 last week...and is jacked about going this year. He'll be bowhunting with me next year...till then, he's got his .243

Great job Zac and Hunter!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to both of your boys and great to see some competition from them!!