Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Girl's Get BUCK FEVER Too! >

Girl's Get BUCK FEVER Too!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Girl's Get BUCK FEVER Too!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Spike

Default Girl's Get BUCK FEVER Too!

So since I am already tagged out in Ohio, I have been taking my girlfriend out when she can go to try to get her first deer. We went out Monday in Licking County to hunt the evening. I put my blind off a big oak tree in a cut bean field about 50 yards off a wood edge to our south. We were facing east at a cut corn field about 100 yards away that led to a 600 acre wooded preserve about 300 yards from us. I stuck my scarface decoy up without the antlers about 20 yards to our east facing Northest. The night started pretty slow so I started going through some tending/breeding grunts and bleat sequences. I was just telling my girl that it was about time for us to see a deer when I spotted a big 130-135 class deer about 250 yards to our east walking toward us in the cut corn. He was 3 1/2 year old main frame seven with a wide and tall rack and pretty good mass. I gave him some bleats and LOUD breeding grunts and he started running right at us!!! He ran toward us and cut just to our south along the woodline. He stopped as just stared at the decoy and then back at us. I wasn't sure that he was going to come in since he passed the decoy and was acting pretty skidish. I told my girlfriend to draw and I ranged him at 40 yards. She drew but we could not get her spun around and I could not get out of the way for her to shoot. She said "I cant hold it much longer" so I grabbed her arm and the bow and helped her let down. Believe it or not the buck just stood there. I figured I needed to do something because she was never getting a shot at him where he was. I decided to go for broke so I stuck my buck growl out the window of the blind and gave him some aggresive grunts. His head immediatly popped up and looked directly at the decoy. Almost like he just realized it was there. He then came in on a string!!!! He walked northeast toward the decoy but swung a little more east so he was not directly behind the decoy. I told her to draw whenever she wanted. She drew without making a peep and I stopped him broadside at 35 yards. I told her the range and then she shot......................................Her windage was perfect but she shot right underneath him!! He jumped up and ran out of our lives forever. I couldn't believe it. What an encounter!! Even though she missed, she loved it. She said, "This is like a game isn't it." I said "yes" and she said "I want to play again!" I think I have her hooked!! She later admitted to me that she was no nervous/excited that she used the wrong pins and shot for 25 instead of 35. I told her not to worry that even the best hunters sometimes get a case of BUCK FEVER!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Great story and it sounds like you have a new hunting partner
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happens more than most people like to admit! Sounds like she had a great hunt, even without the kill and is now hooked on our crack!!! Congrats to you for doing a great job with her.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Awsome story Man!!! To bad about him getting away, but hey you did a great job getting him in close from 250 yards!! Nice.. and some good practice for her as well..keep up the good work and tell her not to worry, she'll have more chances and the buck fever never goes away... thats why we do it
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Spike

Single pin adjustables take care of the wrong pin problem. Been there myself and I know how she must have felt. Sounds like she will more then likely get it done the next time. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! there is no doubt that she is hooked now and you will have a hunting partner for a long time to come. hopefully she is successful next time out. good luck
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

LOL, really nice story. Tell her not to feel to bad, (see my post Browtine down pt2 for my BUCK FEVER). I agree with the single pin comment, thats what I have and I have a feeling I wouldnt have gotten my first archery deer (pictured)if I had to focus on more than one pin. You did accomplish one thing, a hunting partner for life. So good luck to her!