Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How many BUCKS are you allowed to take? Where are you from? >

How many BUCKS are you allowed to take? Where are you from?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many BUCKS are you allowed to take? Where are you from?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many BUCKS are you allowed to take? Where are you from?

I'm from the U.P. of Michigan.. our law is.. If you buy a single archery tag or single rifle tag, you can shoot ONE buck all year and it has to have One Antler 3" long or longer.. If you buy the Combination tag, your allowed two buck either season or split but one has to have 3 pts on one side and the other has to have 4 pts on one side.. Problem with MICHIGAN is we're not required to register our deer, and if you LOSE your license you can buy another one.. So I technically can shoot a deer , say I lost my license , shoot another one.. Or like MANY buttholes do, Shoot one, then one for his wife, then one for his buddy, then for his uncle, and so on and so forth .. ITS SERIOUSLY SUCKS UP HERE.. Worst year I've ever seen.. Between too many bucks being shot, the winters and the WOLVES... Its getting really really bad!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

In Louisiana, we can shoot three bucks and three does in the season.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Where I'm at in NY, Bow season, you get one tag, it can be used for a buck or a doe. You have to apply for a separate doe tag and you could get 0,1 or up to 2 doe tags that can be used for any season. Now you can sign over some doe tags to someone else. I think you can get 2 or 3 signed over to you. Gun season is just 1 buck tag and what ever doe tags you ended up with when you applied for them, like I said above.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Texas the counties vary. Some have a minimum 13 in antler spread, while other counties there are no restrictions. The counties I hunt are one buck four does. We do have have some two buck counties.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

In Jersey it has different season dates and bag limits in different zones.
Zones allow 1 buck for fall bow, 1 bonus buck bow permit, 1 buck on permit muzzleloader, 2 bucks in six day shotgun, 1 bonus buck on permit shotgun, and 1 buck in winter bow. ( 7 total ).
Some zones( like mine ) you can take unlimited amount of does, most others are one per season/permit ( 5 total ).

They say Jersey is has tons & tons of deer, But I feel we should go down to 1 or two bucks for the entire year and take some more does. As of now, we can take more bucks then does, combine that with ( in my area ) hunting clubs that do club drives and shoot anything that is legal ( 3" minimum on one side ).
They have been massicaring deer like this for years and 95% of the bucks are 1-2 years old, it is very, very hard to see a buck 2 1/2 +.
I took a 10 pointer and 5 does last year.
So, I feel the 1-2 bucks a year like many other states will produce many mature bucks for Jersey.
But what do I know, I only see what's in the woods.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

I almost forgot, if you look in my post above, a key work of PERMIT.
Jersey socks it to you also.
Hunting Firearm license ( small game & six day shotgun deer season ).................$27.50
Archery license ( fall & winter archery )................................................. ......$31.50
Archery permit per zone you want to hunt.............................................. ......$28.00 ( per zone )
Archery permit bonus buck.............................................. .......................... $28.00
Permit muzzleloader .................................................. ...............................$28.00
Rifle permit ( for muzzleloader )................................................. ..................$10.50
And if you small game hunt, then there are stamps for pheasant, waterfowl, etc,etc.
But for deer only and all the permits and bonus bucks it's $153.50 + another $28.00 for eack additional zone for archery.

Last edited by 2robinhood; 11-10-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Illinois..you get 2 bucks...unlimited does
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 AM
NTO
Spike

I'm moving to Illinois.........
Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pa allows just one buck per year.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Iowa we get 1 buck with a bow and 1 buck with a firearm. If you are a landowner you can get another one. Pretty much unlimited doe tags as long as they last, each county has a qouta for anterless deer.
It is great living in Iowa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.