Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Holy crap!!!!!!1 >

Holy crap!!!!!!1

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Holy crap!!!!!!1

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Holy crap!!!!!!1

I went to western NY this past weekend with my buddy to hunt his property in Wyoming county. We arrived on Thursday to cold and blustery conditions. About 1:00 pm I headed out to hang my stand and hunt for the afternoon. Squalls were rolling in from Lake Erie and the ground was covered with a dusting of snow. I thought it couldn't get any better than this with the rut coming on now. About 5:00 pm I watched a cloud bank rolling in from the west. After a long day I decided that I had enough. I had already seen 3 different bucks and unfortunately missed a turkey after hitting a hidden tree limb.

As I was retrieving my arrow bent over everything kind of lit up around me. I thought maybe the lights from the wind turbines came on with the dark. Then the thunder rolled over the hills. I thought I made a wise decision to vacate the woods. As I made the trek up the hill to the wheeler I was about 100 yards from the tree line and the closest turbine. All at once a bolt of lightning struck the tip of one of the blades.

Let me tell you I thought I was called for. I jumped and let out a few explicatives and made a run for the wheeler. I drove like a made man in a white out the half mile back to camp. I can't recall ever being as scared as I was that moment the lightning struck that tower.

The rest of the weekend was great in that I saw 4 8 pointers and several other smaller bucks. The only problem was that the big ones never got closer than 60 yards. Well, there's always next year!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

wow, sounds like you had an eventful trip. The lighting would freak me out too. Maybe a little more than it use to since I have metal in my back from two back surgeries