Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just shot my first WI buck!!!! >

Just shot my first WI buck!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just shot my first WI buck!!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just shot my first WI buck!!!!

Guys I am so excited, I'm still shaking. About 7 this morning I heard something crashing around in the brush behind me, so I hit the grunt call twice, softly. The crashing got closer, then a brute stepped out into the clearing. I didn't have time to count points, but I knew it was a shooter. I picked up my bow and the buck came in from behind me, past my tree and stepped into an open lane quartering away. I gave him a little "Maw" and he stopped in his tracks. I let the arrow fly and the buck took off. After settling down for a moment, I got out of the tree to see where or if I hit him. Initially, I couldn't find any blood, so I got back into the tree to try to recreate the situation. That's when I saw the arrow stuck in the ground. I got down and the arrow was absolutely covered in blood and there was a good amount of blood under the arrow! I came back to the house because I didn't want to push him, so now I'm waiting until my friend gets here so we can go track him! Wish me luck!!!! Hopefully I'll have pictures soon!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

good luck. i shot a 9pt last nite. didnt see where my arrow hit but i heard it hit him and i know i had the pin where i wanted when i sent the arrow. he ran off and i heard him crash. waited til dark and got down. my arrow was stuck in the ground. it only had a tiny bit of blood and hair on it. the buck was 12yds and i was pretty sure i smoked him!! tracked him down and there was only spotty blood. not much of a trail! he only went 75yds. lungs cloged up the exit hole. bottom line is the arrow isnt always an indication of a good or bad hit. my shot was double lungs and came out low under his armpit. huge entry and exit wound. just cloged up. good luck. cant wait to see the pics.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck tracking him look foward to seeing.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

way to go! good luck!!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Update: I found him this morning at about 9am. I let him lay for at least an hour because I was afraid to death that I would push him. He ran about 100-150 yards through some pretty thick stuff, but the blood trail was awesome. He is a bruising 10ptr, just short of 20 inch spread. The brow tines are about 4 and a half inches long. What a first buck! I'll get pictures as soon as possible.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

congrats from a fellow WI hunter, sounds like a nice buck
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Spike

Congrats!!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, cannot wait to see the pics!

Shane