Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I blew it!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default I blew it!

For the last three years I have been hunting pretty hardcore for a big mature buck. I was hunting a corn field that I put in for a food plot this morning. As soon as it got shooting light I hit my grunt call twice. About 2 mins later I hear a buck grunt 4 times LOUD. Hit my grunt again and he was on top of me. A really big 140" deer. I had to mouth grunt to get him to stop. Drew back and shot. My illuminock made it look like i shot completely over him. Got down and looked at my arrow and had little blood with particles of something all down the shaft. I walked the other way and waited 2 and a half hours. Then got on the trail. It looked GREAT! Blood all over stalks of corn. Good blood for probably 100 yards and then it was just a drop so often. Tracked him around 500 yards and nothing. The blood trail vanashed. I am devastated.

Any thoughts or advise?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Spike

Go to the nearest water source and check there. These experiences are never fun. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

If you shot through him but just over the spine it'll bleed well for a while like any other cut, but probably not be a fatal hit. Grid search the area tomorrow and if you find no other sign it probably is as it looked to you initially, a high back hit with some fatty tissue stuck to the arrow.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure when you shot it, but i'm in the fingerlakes area too. PM me if you need any help looking for him.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the offer man. i'm in southeastern ohio

i can't stop replaying it in my mind
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh I thought I saw you were from fingerlakes in Ny. If the corn is still standing look up and down every corn row. I've found a lot of crappy blood trail deer that I was about to give up on like that. Best of luck to ya.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck man these will make you appreciate when you see one go down!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

if you were unsure about the hit i think you should have waited longer
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Spike

Did you find your buck?