Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
18 years since last lost, I was about due !!!! >

18 years since last lost, I was about due !!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

18 years since last lost, I was about due !!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default 18 years since last lost, I was about due !!!!

Well guys I had a very bad weekend. Here is the story, went out this past saturday, in stand by 0600. At about 0650 I had a doe come in and browse around for 2 to 3 minutes then walk off. About a minute later I look to my left and here comes a shooter. He walks to within 10 yards of my stand then catches wind of were the doe was standing and starts trotting that way.

Since I knew he was going to follow the doe path I drew my bow and as he hit an opening I gave him the "whaaaa". He stopped dead in his tracks, I put the 20 yard pin on him and released. This darn deer did the duck and turn away move on me. I could have sworn I seen the arrow hit him perfect left to right and about midway up the body.

He turned and ran about 60 yards, stopped lowered his head stood there for about 10 seconds then walked another 10 to 15 yards and stopped again for another 10 seconds or so. Then he walked into some thick cover and I lost sight of him. As soon as he walked into the thick cover here comes a small six point down the exact same path. He went to the same area I had shot the first buck. then 30 to 45 seconds after I shot my buck. I hear in the distance the sound of what I thought was my buck crashing.

Well Mr. six point hears it too and goes over that way through the thicket to investigate, next thing I know I see a deer going through the thicket up the hill trotting. I waited 2 hours, climbed down out of the stand, creeped over and checked my arrow(19 yard shot). blood red from top to bottom. I back out to my truck for 1.5 hours then a light drizzle starts so I decide to go track the deer. Great blood for 75 yards until he crossed a creek then nothing. I found the spot were he bedded/crashed 15 yards on the other side of the creek but no deer.

My wife and my three teenage boys attempted to find this deer for almost 2 full days. With a 4 hour wait from shot until track taken up, I believe it was enough time. ( I followed every trail and hit every creek bottom for 2 days, my legs are on fire)

My Theory: The buck dodged the arrow to the point that the impact was in the void area with no vitals. When the small six point started through the thicket he startled/jumped my buck and he ran. Right now I am sick to my stomach. I am very appreciative that my wife and three sons spent 2 days looking for the deer.

I am dismayed that I called 3 friends and none showed to help, that really bothers me considering I have always helped them. One friend I could understand, he had a serious remodeling project going on and could not get away. The other 2, well lets say next time they need something from me it will be on my terms. Now for my estimate of deer size. I guestimated him at 135 to 140, big old buck ( good deer for my area). Anyways, sorry to let you guys down. All I can do is get back in the stand and keep trying.

Dave

Last edited by SouthernMDArcherer; 11-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad you didnt find him
Your friends sound like a buddy of mine.
-Shoots a deer and is calling for my help and my four wheeler within 5 minutes. he EXPECTS you to get out of a stand and come right then rather than wait till everyone is done hunting.
But like you said when you need his help he always has an excuse.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like ya mighta grazed him with the duk n turn move..bright red...and good blood trail...you have game cams? put one where ya shot him at..he'll be back sooner or later...i jus read a post (as have many other people had this same pic) where the deer is on cam and you can see the arrow bulgin on the shoulder, i am interested to see as well....if ya told me ya had a broadhead and 2 inches of shaft in a deer, i'd usually say there is a dead deer, but i am proved wrong with these post.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

There is two things I would like to add. 1# I shot my bow to verify everything was good, 20, 30 and 40 yard pin dead on. 2# the most important: How very proud I am of my wife and three sons. As we walked through the woods 7 am sunday morning heading to my stand my wife was very upbeat and told our boys "let's find Dads deer.

All Saturday afternoon until dark and from 7 am the next morning until dark not one of them complained. They walked literally miles in the woods looking. At 4:45pm Sunday when I called it quits my little 13 year son old actually had tears in his eyes when he told me he was sorry we did not find the deer. I am so proud of my family !!!! I am very lucky to have them.

Dave
Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Clean pass through. Bright red blood with bubbles, I thought for sure I atleast one lunged him. When he stopped the first time he lowered his head and was coughing blood up ( seen through binos). If you bowhunt long enough this will happen from time to time. After 34 years nothing really amazes me anymore, I've seen some wild stuff when it comes to whitetails.

Dave
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats surprising that you didnt find him after what you thought of your shot and seeing him cough up blood. Whitetails sure are tough animals. My dad and buddy both shot bucks this year with what we thought to be good hits and after days of searching we didnt find either of them. Hopefully the buck is still alive and you could get another shot at him and finish the job. good luck and hang in there
Old 11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

For sure, sounds like a one lung hit. Thats too bad, but you put a hell of a track on that deer. Its amazing how far they can go with a single lung hit.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bummer man, one lungers are tough, and sometimes they even survive them.