Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Future Bowhunter >

Future Bowhunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Future Bowhunter

Old 05-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Future Bowhunter

I decided i want to get a bow and begin to learn how to bow hunt but obviously i need a bow first. I actually decided this awhile back but been working so much i haven' t had time to think about it. I decided i want to get a PSE but i need some suggestions on where to get it. I have had some people tell me Ebay but i honestly don' t trust it all that much. I might get one through Cabelas. What would be the best place to go for a reasonable price? If possible $400 or less. Thank you in advance
Old 05-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Future Bowhunter

You will get a lot of this, but here goes. Go to an archery shop to try out first. Buy the bow that you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:46 AM

i have agree with yajsab ,go to a pro shop , i purchased one from bps years ago and i had problems with ,during a 3d shoot i put it up for sale the next day , not that the bows cabelas and bps are bad i think its just better if you go to the pro shop and try them out first , then you can mail order one the pro shop will set it up for you for a small fee , good luck

Old 05-30-2003, 09:51 AM

Like the others said go to a PSE dealer and shoot a couple and they will set it up for you and your shooting style. They are also good about helping with problems that may pop up later. PSE makes a few nice bows that you can get set up for well under 400$, some less than 300$, not a bad choice either and they have a good customer support record.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you set on a PSE?
Old 05-31-2003, 06:21 AM

I just bought a new PSE and couldnt love it any more, and I only cost 300.00
Red Hawk, go to a local Bass Pro Shops and check them out. They have bows hanging out that you can hold and feel. some have sights, quivers, ect already attached, so you know what you will be holding when youre in the woods. PSE has a sweet bow, the Whitetail X-Treme(the one i got) and only bass pro carries it, as I said it only cost 300 bucks. But heres the trick-dont buy one off the shelf, order it online, because I didnt like the idea of other people holding my bow.
Good Luck
Matt=------------>
Old 05-31-2003, 08:06 PM

Go to the local pro shop near you. Cabelas and bps are good to if they are close to you. Being a beginer look for the combination deals. PSE and others all have a matched package deal set up to include bow,rest,and site. All else you will need will be arrows and a release. I just bought my son his first bow for $200, complete. Add arrows and release and he was shooting sweet for under $260.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Future Bowhunter(updated version)

Thank you for everyone who replied. I went down to the shop last week and told him that i was beginning and so on so forth. It suggested an Team Hoyte (or just Hoyte) that was nice considering it comes with the package.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:38 PM

PSE' s are good bows. So are Reflex, Martin, HCA, Hoyt and a few others. I got a couple PSE' s, both of which I order out of catalogs.

If your gonna order a bow by yourself, make sure you know your proper draw weight and draw length. Otherwise you are not gonna be shooting good. That' s the risk of ordering from a catalog. Some people are good at ordering out of catalogs while others might mess up.

If you are not comfortable with ordering out of a catalog, then go to the proshop but a proshop might be limited to what they have in the store. ..or they might have catalogs to order the bow for you. They might be a little more expensive, or a little less if they hook you up good.