Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bagged my Buck

Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default Bagged my Buck

I have to say that I am on this site almost daily reading a TON of information, I rarely post but wanted to share this with everyone. I shot my buck on Sunday and while I am happy with the deer I am more proud of the way it went down. I had this buck come to me at 3:00 in the afternoon and gave me a slight quartering away shot at 32 yards. I never saw the right side broken off until just before I shot. Why I am sharing is because when I shot I knew I had hit him a bit back and was worried about the shot. After reading dozens of threads about how to treat an unsure shot I made myself wait in the stand till the deer was out of site and then another 30 minutes. I got down went the opposite direction of the deer to camp even though it made for a longer walk I did not want to allow him to get up and run. So I went to camp waited for 2.5 hours before I headed out with the intention if the sign was bad i would back out till morning. Even though it was dark when i started my search after 5 minutes I was able to get on a blood trail which got better as I tracked and about 130 yards from my stand he was down! I am sure if I had gotten down right away this deer would have gotten up and run who knows how far. First time I ever had to be that patient on a deer but after all the stories I have read on here made me think I was doing the right thing. SO thanks to everyone who have ever typed a thread about a questionable hit on a deer and how to treat the situation.
Attached Thumbnails Bagged my Buck-deer09.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting rack and Congratulations. Great displsay of patience. Was there any sign of injury to the buck? I was wondering if this rack was formed from an injury, genetics, etc...

Again, congrats.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Spike

Thanks! No there was no evidence of injury although I gotta believe there was some type of injury at some point to him. He actually has 3 main beams one the right side, and 2 on the left side. He was big body deer easily 215lbs.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking buck and I really mean that!!! I love those odd ball racks.

I also want to say that this just proves that sites like this really do help with the education of hunters and makes the sport better for the whole lot. More people need to understand just how important it is to back out if there is the smallest question mark about the shot. Great job all the way around!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats got a goofy rack. congrats and nice job
Old 11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats....nice "Rob" buck!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Would be cool if both sides were like the nice side but it gives him some great character and a neat rack!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats...Gotta kill those bucks to get those Genetics Right..CONGRATS! And what a way to display patience and maturity most people just run in there and spook the deer up. Congrats on the fine kill

-NICK
Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Great character buck!

He looks like he has a really long nose too? Maybe its just the pic...

Any chance you took a measurement?