HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bagged my Buck
Thread: Bagged my Buck
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Tarheelsaint
Spike

Default Bagged my Buck

I have to say that I am on this site almost daily reading a TON of information, I rarely post but wanted to share this with everyone. I shot my buck on Sunday and while I am happy with the deer I am more proud of the way it went down. I had this buck come to me at 3:00 in the afternoon and gave me a slight quartering away shot at 32 yards. I never saw the right side broken off until just before I shot. Why I am sharing is because when I shot I knew I had hit him a bit back and was worried about the shot. After reading dozens of threads about how to treat an unsure shot I made myself wait in the stand till the deer was out of site and then another 30 minutes. I got down went the opposite direction of the deer to camp even though it made for a longer walk I did not want to allow him to get up and run. So I went to camp waited for 2.5 hours before I headed out with the intention if the sign was bad i would back out till morning. Even though it was dark when i started my search after 5 minutes I was able to get on a blood trail which got better as I tracked and about 130 yards from my stand he was down! I am sure if I had gotten down right away this deer would have gotten up and run who knows how far. First time I ever had to be that patient on a deer but after all the stories I have read on here made me think I was doing the right thing. SO thanks to everyone who have ever typed a thread about a questionable hit on a deer and how to treat the situation.
Attached Images