Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How can I get a doe down? >

How can I get a doe down?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can I get a doe down?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Deer Destroyer
The shoot a doe before you get a buck tag is a great law. I wish Ohio did that. My dad and I wouldn't have to worry cause we always shoot at least 1 doe early in the season. It's not hard, shoot yourself that doe. Best time of the year to hunt.
First off, it's a horrible law in most of Wisconsin because there just aren't enough deer to justify it. But that's totally beside the point...I see plenty of deer it's just if I'm in one stand they walk by another one, if I'm in that stand they walk the other one...it's so frustrating! I'm as careful as I can be about scent control and hunting the wind, I need to find a way to attract them...except baiting is illegal also where I hunt
Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by natimage
First off, it's a horrible law in most of Wisconsin because there just aren't enough deer to justify it. But that's totally beside the point...I see plenty of deer it's just if I'm in one stand they walk by another one, if I'm in that stand they walk the other one...it's so frustrating! I'm as careful as I can be about scent control and hunting the wind, I need to find a way to attract them...except baiting is illegal also where I hunt
Then stop changing stands... Just stay consistent and hunt only one of the stands.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think the doe before buck law is stupid, but thats personal opinion....

I would try to hunt their food sources if at all possible, I guess you could try a fawn bleat, it couldn't hurt.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

road kill, not kidding!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Deer Destroyer
The shoot a doe before you get a buck tag is a great law. I wish Ohio did that. My dad and I wouldn't have to worry cause we always shoot at least 1 doe early in the season. It's not hard, shoot yourself that doe. Best time of the year to hunt.
I agree, wish WV did it to. It is a great way to make sure doe are shot. All of the guys that hunt our property are required to shoot 2 doe for every buck they kill. If they kill a buck this year and don't kill the 2 doe you don't get to kill a buck next year. Remember you are looking for buck to doe ratio of 1 to 1. I believe state wide WI is about there and the biologist want to keep it that way. There is a method to the madness. Have you hugged your doe today?