Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Recurve/longbow/Compound >

Recurve/longbow/Compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recurve/longbow/Compound

Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I can certainly shoot more accurately at targets from known longer distances with a compound I never had the need to shoot any farther at game with it than my longbow or recurve.In my experience stump shooting there are to many tiny twigs hanging in the way you just can't see that can deflect the arrow much beyond 35 yards or so.I also find that I'm more accurate shooting at unknown distances with trad bows unless using a range finder with the compound.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Started with compound in 83 and now Iam into recurve and longbow(still need ta work on longbow,think I need ta cut the Port Ceders down a tad)but Iam getting good out to 20 yrds with the Recurve but feel I still need to improve a bit......
Compound good out to 60 yrds but keep shots under 25 yrds on deer.
Recurve good out to 20 yrds but need to tightin up group.
Longbow still workin at 15 yrds.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted with both, but I've only got 5 misses to my credit with trad gear. Over 40 deer with compounds. My average shot is 12.5 yards and my longest is 32.

Even though the distances are roughly the same, the confidence level in compounds vs trad gear is immeasurable for me.