Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Recurve/longbow/Compound >

Recurve/longbow/Compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recurve/longbow/Compound

Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recurve/longbow/Compound

To the many Bowhunters that have hunted with BOTH conventional rercurve or Longbow & Compounds. Do you take longer shots with Compounds & if so why?

53 Bowhunting years total.

I took 38 Biggame animals (Deer, Elk, Hogs) with Recurves & wood/fiberglass arrows in my 1st 18 years of Bowhunting.
(one) Longest was 1 Buck at 55 yds but average was 25 yds & under. Average Bow weight 60#s

Next 35 years with compound (Deer, Elk, Bears, Caribou, hogs & more) 70#s until 6 years ago & dropped to 60#s.
Longest shots-2 Elk at 35 yds (1-70#s 1-60#s), 1 Buffalo at 42 yds with 60#s(Rangefinder used). My average on 100+ Biggame animals with Compound has been under 25 yds..

I find after all these years I still shoot the same distances as I did with recurves. Why? Even though arrow material & Bows are more efficient I still feel it is in MY ABILITY to make a accurate killing shot that is the determining factor.
In todays New Archer "I" feel more emphasis on tackle determines
how far they shoot & their "true" ability takes a back seat to good judgement in many cases..not always but often.

Back in my recurve tourny days I "KNEW" I could spot out on a 28 target field course through 6o yds as my scores showed it.
I knew I could KILL a Deer at 60 yds with my Hunting recurve but would never attempt it.

Not a debate -just seeing if YOUR tackle makes a difference in your judgement. I doubt if many have much experience using BOTH....
Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Your shots with your trad bow DWARF mine. I took 21 big game animals with the compound before switching to trad, this year. So far, two whitetails down with my recurve.

Avg. shot distance on the 21 compounds animals? Less than 17yds. Longest kill was 33yds. Avg. shot dist. with the recurve? Less than 15yds (long of 17 and short of 12).

I wouldn't dream of shooting at a whitetail at 33yds with my recurve. NO reason to (where I hunt). I call that a "sighting". If I lived out west, I'd probably feel differently.

I DO hope to extend my max eff. range for my elk trip, next year. I'd like to go there with 30-40yds not bothering me in the least (on an animal with 2 sq. ft. of vitals area).
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Your shots with your trad bow DWARF mine. I took 21 big game animals with the compound before switching to trad, this year. So far, two whitetails down with my recurve.

Avg. shot distance on the 21 compounds animals? Less than 17yds. Longest kill was 33yds. Avg. shot dist. with the recurve? Less than 15yds (long of 17 and short of 12).

I wouldn't dream of shooting at a whitetail at 33yds with my recurve. NO reason to (where I hunt). I call that a "sighting". If I lived out west, I'd probably feel differently.

I DO hope to extend my max eff. range for my elk trip, next year. I'd like to go there with 30-40yds not bothering me in the least (on an animal with 2 sq. ft. of vitals area).
Sounds so much more worldly than deer don't it.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds so much more worldly than deer don't it.
Are you still biting at my ankles? Don't you have a side of beef to eat, or something?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The tone of this thread gives me a warm, fuzzy "I'm home" sort of feeling.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That turkey is a booner, any plains game photos?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a debate -just seeing if YOUR tackle makes a difference in your judgement. I doubt if many have much experience using BOTH....
I've been bow hunting only for 24 years. I used a compound the 1st 9 or so of them years and now have been using a recurve since, the same one to be exact. My yardage hasn't changed In the least from compound to my recurve and probably never will. My max yardage with my compound was In that 20 to 25 yard range and on most days my max yardage with my recurve Is In that 20 yard range, sometimes 25 If I'm on fire with my shooting. Will I ever be comfortable taking a 30 yard shot with my recurve? I don't know, can't answer that until the time comes.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
I've been bow hunting only for 24 years. I used a compound the 1st 9 or so of them years and now have been using a recurve since, the same one to be exact. My yardage hasn't changed In the least from compound to my recurve and probably never will. My max yardage with my compound was In that 20 to 25 yard range and on most days my max yardage with my recurve Is In that 20 yard range, sometimes 25 If I'm on fire with my shooting. Will I ever be comfortable taking a 30 yard shot with my recurve? I don't know, can't answer that until the time comes.
It makes a huge difference to me. I'm lucky to be consistent at over 15 yards with my longbow, but 20 - 30 yards with my compound is a slam dunk.

I don't know if the problem with the longbow is me, the bow or just that I need someone to show me how to get the right arrow set up or what. All I know is that while I haven't gotten a deer with my longbow yet, if I can get one at 15 yards or less now, I can kill it. I'm still waiting for that to happen.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bawanajim
That turkey is a booner, any plains game photos?
LMAO!!!

I hunted with a Recurve for years and I'd say my longest kill would have been close to 30. The Compound is a totally different weapon and IMHO has a much longer effective range. I've killed more than a couple whitetail, mule deer, elk, etc. at 40, 50 yards. Longest being 83 and 84 yards. I limit my shots to 50 or less now because the eyesight is not what it used to be.
Anyone that is a serious consistent shooter should be able to kill deer with a modern compound out to 40 yards when conditions are right!

That is the Tricky part knowing when an ethical shot is there and when it is Not. I'd say most can hit the vitals on a Deer at 40 yards in the backyard, but in a hunting situation on a live animal it's a different ballgame.
Still the over 100 animals I've killed with a Bow I'm sure my average shot would be 25 yards or less. The 8 point I killed last week was shot at 23 yards, and the 4X4 Mule Deer I killed last winter was a 26 yard shot. Last years 10 point was also only 23 yards.

Dan
Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot at a hippo, once, Jim. You don't have a twin....do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.