Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind TIp

Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wind TIp

If you want easy way to check current wind conditions, try this:

1. Find out the name of the closest airport to your hunt area. Mine is Manassas Regional Airport.

2. Goto the airport website. Here's mine: http://www.airnav.com/airport/HEF

3. Goto the communications section and find the phone number for the automated weather. There are a couple ways to abbreviate it. Should look something like this:

ATIS: 125.175mhz (703-361-6160)WX AWOS-3: PHONE (703-361-6160)

4. Put the number in the speed dial of your cell phone and dial it anytime (24/7). It will give you an current, automated weather report to include wind direction in magnetic degreees and wind speed in knots. Knots is close enough to mph for hunting purposes. The time will be in the zulu time zone which will be 3-4 hours ahead depending on your time zone. You can ignore the time - it updates every ~15 mintues.

5. Now, you can check the winds on your way to the stand to make last minute adjustments in your hunting plan.

6. This is a free service and you will not impact the airport users with your minimal usage.