Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
IOWA, Wisconsin, Illinois, RUT STATUS >

IOWA, Wisconsin, Illinois, RUT STATUS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

IOWA, Wisconsin, Illinois, RUT STATUS

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

This past weekend I hunted NW Wisconsin (Polk County). I called in nearly every deer using a doe bleat (can call). I saw two bucks chasing does hard. Also had one 2.5 year old buck follow a doe all over, including right under my stand. (HE was lucky he was too narrow spread!)

From Saturday to Sunday, I counted 9 new scrapes in an 80 acre area.

I expect this weekend to be fantastic!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
Have you posted any pics of your dads buck on the forum-i havnt seen any-sorry i got off topic.
Yeah i have posted a few pictures but here is one.
Attached Thumbnails IOWA, Wisconsin, Illinois, RUT STATUS-dscf0001.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ahunter55
I'm N.E. Iowa. If I could throw a rock over the Miss. River it would hit my home state of Ill. & i'm about 45 min from Ws. Border.
I've seen 5 Bucks in the last week & all have been alone & right at dark. I'm guessing 7-10 days & they will cruising daytime.
All the crops are in around my area & wetter than everything. I didn't go this evening as I would probably get stuck even with my 4 wheel drive Jeep & probably not tomorrow. Over a Mile for me to walk in & since ill be 68 next month just to LAZY to do it.
If it's half way dry (supposed to be nice all next week) I won't be missing many days from now on. The best will be after the 3rd 4th through rest of Nov... Good Luck to all.
thats a nice deer passthru....

What county u hunting hunter55.....Im in dubuque county
Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the last 8 days I have seen 9 bucks from my stand many of them paired up. I have not seen any chasing although I have heard reports of a few spotted.
It is really a week to 10 days off until they really kick it in gear, and some dry, cold weather would help as much as anything. I have learned to like the last part of November as much as the 1st part. The Trolling phase can really be Hot if you set in a funnel and be patient. Those Bucks are moving looking/hoping for those last few does that will come in heat.
The 8 point I shot on the 28th had a swelled neck for sure. 26" around right up under the jaw.

Dan
Old 10-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen a few younger bucks acting rutty but the big boys are smart enough to wait and save their energy, I think they are on their feet claiming territory though. Buddy killed a 160 at 10:30am last weekend.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default Rattling/Grunting

a general quetion....how often do you rattle compared to grunting..does it matter what time of day you do this...what are your experiences with this...my son is just getting into bow hunting and I would like your opinions, if you could share your experiences that would be great!!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Ill usually doe bleat 3 or 4 times and then grunt 7 - 10 times 1 sec intervals. Do this about 2 too 3 consecutive times.....have never had one come in yet tho...lol

I use the buck roar it works great if u see a buck it brings them rite in, Rattling is my favorite had alot of luck with this, about once every hour, doe bleat/grunt 45min
Old 10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Spike

ok guys need help....my son shot a buck at 4...he hit it high between the shoulder and spine .....the arrow stayed in the buck and it was quartering a little toward him...it did not look like it got very much penetration but enough to stay with it as it ran.....did not find blood, we did not go very far after it.....opinion please.....how long should we wait before going after it
Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Spike

Went out today. Saw two different bucks chasing does around 10 am. It is starting to heat up. NE/IA corridor.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OmahaDeerSteaks
Went out today. Saw two different bucks chasing does around 10 am. It is starting to heat up. NE/IA corridor.
I'm in the area as well and have seen daytime sightings of several big bucks with doe the past couple days.

Another big indicator of the rut getting in full swing in this area is the spike in dead deer seen on the highways and I've seen a bunch the past 2 or 3 days.

Now is a good time to be on stand during midday hours as well as early and late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.