Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knives????

Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Knives????

Alright I am looking for reasonably priced high quality knives for skinning and boning. While doing just that last night with my brothers kit he bought at Walmart I discovered that it was a piece of crap. So, does anyone know of good companies that make good knives?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of Gerber Gators that I really like. They hold an edge and are easy to work with. I also have some high dollar customs, but they see very little use. The Gator retails for around $60.00, and is easy to work with. If you are looking for a folding hunter, you should like it.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I have a Gerber folding hunting knife that I haven't had to sharpen yet. I'm more looking for a curved boning knife, one I can use to skin and process.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Spike

I just bought the Outdoor Edge Game Processor Kit. Knives are sharp and I have heard good things about the BRand.

Here is the link to what I got.

Outdoor Edge Game Processor Kit

I got pretty sick of cheap knives my own self but didnt want to spend a fortune on new ones.

Hope this helps
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Cutco!!! They make mostly house kitchen knifes, but the also make a great hunting knife. I use mine for skinning and deboning. Stays extremely sharp all season long. And you can send it in and have it re-sharpened anytime you want for free!!! You pay the S/H but thats like $6. And its a life time warrenty, so if you break it they send you a new one for free as well. Check em out....

http://www.cutco.com
Old 10-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a meat processor give me a Forstner (sp?). I use the sh!t out of it for skinning, boning, and overall processing. The point on the knife sucks, but other than that it is one he!! of a knife. I also use a Boker knife for cutting through the backbone, the rib cage, the tail off, and digging in and around the hip bones. I use a filet knife for fine cutting (e.g. tenderloins and backstraps). None of the knives cost me over $35.00.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Appreciate it guys, I looked at that game kit, I can't see me buying a whole kit when I know I'm going to only use one knife out of it; though that does look a lot better than the one my brother bought. I have been looking at the forchner knives the most and those look really nice.