Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blood trails

Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default blood trails

So i switched to slick tricks this year and have killed 2 deer so far. Both times i got pass throughs. Left good holes in the deer too. Weird thing on the second doe i shot i got a double lung hit and she ran about 120 yards leaving very very little blood. Didnt make much sense to me to why she wouldnt have left a good blood trail. Cause the first deer i shot i got a double lung also and tons of blood didnt even have to look hardly.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

How high up was the entrance hole and how low was the exit hole? Also, did you get a complete passthrough? Was it quartering towards you by any chance?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

complete pass throughs on both deer. Both deer were broadside when i shot them. The shot on the first doe hit high lung and exited about the center of the lung on other side. Second doe i shot hit both lungs a low both sides.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BrentH243
How high up was the entrance hole and how low was the exit hole? Also, did you get a complete passthrough? Was it quartering towards you by any chance?
Exactly!! Angles, Hole heights, lots of things make a difference in how much blood spills on the ground.

I shot a yote the other night with a Grizz Trick and I hardly had any Trail at all!!

He only went 3 steps!!

Pics not that good! Cell phone

Dan
Attached Thumbnails blood trails-yote09.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

what damage on that coyote dude, nice work
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bowfly
what damage on that coyote dude, nice work
Closer Pic!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails blood trails-yote092.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Spike

The high lung hit and little blood was caused because of the fact that the cavity of the deer wasnt able to fill up with blood b4 the doe went down as apposed to a lower hit where the blood will exit right away.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said, theres alot of factors into blood actually making it to the ground...as long as there are good holes, and stuff gets cut, you really cant ask for more...cant blame anything other than factors outside our control for how much blood makes it to the ground...

different hits produce different trails...some hits will spray...some wont leave a trail for 20+yds...some will just leave drops here n there...

meanV, those grizz tricks punch a NASTY hole just like i suspected they would!!! im in love!! i wish i got some close up pics for the "rage" guys....that rage "gash" might look nasty...but a HOLE punched out by a 1 1/4" 4blade is crazy to look at...almost wish i got to track him...but he dropped...the holes were amazing to say the least...and, even when smashing bone, the blades held up...i know 1 bent..but out of 3 arrows, it was the only one to bend..the rest could probably be sharpened and reshot...