Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Rubs

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tree Rubs

Hey all just a ? I am finding major tree rubs in one area I am hunting. and find more new ones each time I go in, But No Ground scrapes Yet? are they still marking there boundry lines, and the ground rubs don't start untill the does go into estrus ???
where as other areas I go I am finding No rubs but plenty of spots where acorns are eaten I know the rub area is a buck spot and the other is loaded with does But when do the ground rubs Start ?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

They should start any time now. Around here, I'm starting to see new scrapes and rubs every time out.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i know of many areas i can find scrapes from opening day clear into LATE winter/early spring...

just because there are rubs on trees doesnt mean there HAS to be scrapes anywhere near...could be both...could be one or the other...

i find scrapes are pretty predictable and are found in the same area year from year...not always...but pretty common for me to find scrapes in the same area, even in the same exact spot, year to year...

i dont know enough about scrape hunting to say much more than that except i killed my buck thursday over a VERY actively freshly hit scrape...its something i'd love to learn alot more about...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found a few ground scraps on a bean field i hunt and only a few tree rubs. nothing real major on the trees. So i am hoping there still in velvet. I want my first buck to be velvet.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A rub does not mean that it is a buck marking his area. In fact, very few rubs you will find mean this. It could be that the area you have found is a stagging area where one or more bucks are holding up before leaving cover to go feed.

I don't know where you are located, but here in Illinois, I have been seeing rubs since the beginning of season, but have not found my first scrape yet. I would assume that any day now the younger bucks will start hitting scrapes. By the 1st of Nov, scrapes should be popping up every day, but just has not started here yet.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im finding lots of scrapes but not one single rub yet...what the is up with that???
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I found a few ground scraps on a bean field i hunt and only a few tree rubs. nothing real major on the trees. So i am hoping there still in velvet. I want my first buck to be velvet.
Maybe im a little slow here, but are you joking? Bucks are obviously out of velvet.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

i been seein scrapes for about a month now in ky
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for every ones input I appriciate it