Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does facepaint smell? >

Does facepaint smell?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does facepaint smell?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does facepaint smell?

I am trying to paint my face everytime I go deer hunting this year because I dont like wearing a face mask. I was wondering if you guys thought that the facepaint could be smelled by deer? I know it has a little smell to it and didnt know if that would ever bother a deer or not. I bought some cheap facepaint the other day in the halloween isle to compare to the stuff made for hunting and I noticed they both smelled the same. Also I think that the facepaint in the tubes has a stronger smell than the paint in the hard case with a mirror. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I used to use it (tubes and compact) and I always thought they both had smells. I thought the compacts had a plastic smell to it and the tubes seemed a little more like clay.

I don't know how it mattered to deer as I killed a lot of deer with face paint, but I do agree there is a smell to it.

BTW, I hated the whole facemask thing also for some of the same reasons you probably do: Too much bulk, restricting, can't find my kisser, moves when I turn, etc.. I tried out an Under Armor facemask and liked it so much I purchased another one so I wasn't without (washing and such). I was very happy to lose washing the paint off after every hunt.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

i know the issue stuff in the service smelled really bad and was a b*tch to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

i always put on as little as possible, jsut to lightly cover my face, and spread it out as much as i can so its a thin layer... so there is less of it to smell.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Spike

They will smell you before they smell the face paint. I dont really worry about it and hunt when/where the wind is right. just my .02 cents
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive never had any issues with deer picking up the scent when I wear my face makeup.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

This is good info, I bought some several yrs ago and opted to not use it cause of the smell. I opened it up and it basically filled the room with an odor. I got several types of face masks, and prefer a tighter fitting one as it sits still and moves with you. The lighter puffy ones tend to sit still when you move and cause blind spots.