Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hooked Up by an Animal Rights Activist! >

Hooked Up by an Animal Rights Activist!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hooked Up by an Animal Rights Activist!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hooked Up by an Animal Rights Activist!

Sorry, this is kinda long and its pretty strange. A few months back I found out a woman I work with has a few acres on an Island that's loaded with deer. Finding property to hunt there isn't easy, so I asked her about hunting on it. She never really gave me an answer, so I figured I'd ask again a little closer to the season, not wanting to push. About a week before the season, I asked for permission and she said she really doesn't want people hunting her property (she has a dog, kid, etc.), but she said her neighbor has a few acres and she has let people hunt there before. She asked her neighbor for permission for me, and the neighbor said okay. The neighbor was going out of the country just before opening day for a couple weeks, but she signed a permission slip and wrote a note.

The note said that someone else hunts there, usually Sun and Mon, and we should touch base but she didn't give me any contact info. I stopped by the second day of the season, never having been there before, and I took a doe. This afternoon I went to hunt there again and the property owner was home. I knocked on the door, introduced myself, and we talked a little. I got the phone number of the other guy who hunts the property, according to her, he sounds cool with me hunting there too, but I'll touch base with him to be sure we don't step on each others toes. The owner said she was surprised her neighbor had asked for permission, since she is an animal rights activist and such... That took me completely by surprise. After the hunt, I saw the woman from work taking a walk down the road so I stopped to say hi. She asked if I got anything, peered into my truck bed (slow night, nothing moving). She tells me that she found out from her Humane Society something about if a hunter crosses property lines they could get in trouble for trespassing... I agreed that this was true. I don't think she was warning me, just kinda making conversation... I think the whole situation is kinda wierd, but I landed a nice spot out of the deal. Hookd up by an Anti? Who'd have thunk it!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
Sorry, this is kinda long and its pretty strange. A few months back I found out a woman I work with has a few acres on an Island that's loaded with deer. Finding property to hunt there isn't easy, so I asked her about hunting on it. She never really gave me an answer, so I figured I'd ask again a little closer to the season, not wanting to push. About a week before the season, I asked for permission and she said she really doesn't want people hunting her property (she has a dog, kid, etc.), but she said her neighbor has a few acres and she has let people hunt there before. She asked her neighbor for permission for me, and the neighbor said okay. The neighbor was going out of the country just before opening day for a couple weeks, but she signed a permission slip and wrote a note.

The note said that someone else hunts there, usually Sun and Mon, and we should touch base but she didn't give me any contact info. I stopped by the second day of the season, never having been there before, and I took a doe. This afternoon I went to hunt there again and the property owner was home. I knocked on the door, introduced myself, and we talked a little. I got the phone number of the other guy who hunts the property, according to her, he sounds cool with me hunting there too, but I'll touch base with him to be sure we don't step on each others toes. The owner said she was surprised her neighbor had asked for permission, since she is an animal rights activist and such... That took me completely by surprise. After the hunt, I saw the woman from work taking a walk down the road so I stopped to say hi. She asked if I got anything, peered into my truck bed (slow night, nothing moving). She tells me that she found out from her Humane Society something about if a hunter crosses property lines they could get in trouble for trespassing... I agreed that this was true. I don't think she was warning me, just kinda making conversation... I think the whole situation is kinda wierd, but I landed a nice spot out of the deal. Hookd up by an Anti? Who'd have thunk it!
You asked her out yet?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

That is weird !! Good luck with your new hunting spot!!

Tim
Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmax hunter
You asked her out yet?
LMAO.... That would be strange wouldnt it.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess they arent ALL bad as they seem. You got a good friend and sounds like shes understanding in your needs to provide food for you and your family. Good luck and hope you get a bruiser.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I guess they arent ALL bad as they seem.
I've found that people are anti-hunting for different reasons. Some are morally-based (ie. simply against killing Bambi), some out of ignorance of what the sport actually is (ie. there's more to the hunt than simply shooting a deer), etc. For example, my mom is always a little happy if I strike out, but she does understand the need to control deer numbers. Her objection is based purely on emotional factors...deer are 'cute'...but she doesn't strongly object to hunting. She even laughs about the inconsistency in her reasoning. I think most anti-hunters, perhaps including your coworker, fall into this category. Most of them probably don't think twice about eating a steak at a restaurant.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like she knows that they need thinned out at times,but she wasn't going to let you get it done on her property.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Animal rights does not necessarily equal anti-hunting. Many animal rights people are congnizent of the benefits hunting provides in terms of poplulation control and while they would prefer that animals aren't hurt they realize that it is necessary. Just like any life-style or belief, animal rights is fine as long as it is not taken to extremes.

That's good to know that she was able to help you out. If you maintain a good relationship she may allow you to hunt her property too at a later time.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is pretty awesome for sure.

I have an uncle, I am guessing he is around 60 or so now and is a life long hunter. About 10 years ago he married this hot little 26 year old (she is a damn knock out!). Come to find out, she is an anti hunter and is very involved with PETA. My uncle still hunts, she still does her PETA thing and she gets along great with the entire family. I don't understand, but it works for them.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

i bet the activist secretly loves backstraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.