Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bad morning in the woods >

Bad morning in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad morning in the woods

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bad morning in the woods

Saturday I was drawn to hunt a military reduction hunt that did not go very well. I set up in a woods I have never been in in the dark and at first light I was likr CRAP! Im not going to see anything here. About 30 min after day break a young doe was 15 yards to my right(im right handed) So I waited until she went behind some trees to move. When I did the back pad on my climber amde a noise and the doe darted away. CRAP! So I pulled out my knife and cut off the pad.
About two hrs later a see another deer pop out of a thicket coming toward me. It was a big 8 point buck. once again to my right. He goes behind some trees and I turn. When he came out he was looking at me and started backing up so I shot. 30 yds away I hit a nice size tree about 2'' in. I was bummed because in 7 years of bow hunting I havent shot a buck yet.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

That sucks..Can't get them all,thats why its hunting and not killing.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey at least you got to spend some time in the woods and get close to a couple deer, all I saw was a deers butt at 100yds for 1 second this morning As long as you didnt wound and lose an animal, I wouldnt call any time in the woods "bad". Seriously though, dont get discouraged, your time will come, sooner or later.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for your misfortune, but there is no such thing as "a bad morning in the woods" ( as I type from work ). I'd gladly be out there right now, deer or no deer.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I had you luck. 6hrs in the woods and nothing been saving this spot for the last two weeks of Oct and had high hopes but the deer thought other wise.
If you are seeing deer your day will come stay focused and good luck.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Spike

just remember - not trying to be a butthead - but you could be a work and not in the woods..........that's a 'bad' day imho
Old 10-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

I can guarantee your day would have been much much worse if you had wounded that deer and not recovered it. That stuff eats at you for half the season if not longer. Far better to miss clean - although you either have an equipment problem to solve or something else is wrong to miss like that. Lastly, we all have days like that! Don't give up and get back out there.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

I been bow hunting for 3yrs now and shot at 2 deer so far. Both shots were way high as judging distance in the heat of the moment I seem to suck at. Need to get me a range finder to help me do this, and also make an ethical shot for the deer. I sat last yr every evening after work for 3 weeks before seeing a single deer in multiple stands on 1200 acres.

I always seem to get my deer the first week of muzzleloading season and the normally towards the end of our season just after Christmas. I always have either a bow or a muzzleloader for the entire season. But really enjoy just being out in the woods even when I don't see anything.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like a pretty good morning to me. Maybe not the results you wanted, but in the woods and seeing deer is better than sitting at a desk typing like I am right now.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been Bowhunting for 6 years now and have shot some does, some spikes and a 6 point, but last year i was set up along a corn row and the biggest buck to date steped out i had him broadside at 25 yards..(i dont have a 25 yard pin) so i split pins and missed over him about an inch..Luminock helped with that but i was so discusted like you..But i am grateful to be out there hunting, so keep going at it and it will pay off yet..

Good luck in the better part of the season!!

-NICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.