Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hit a nice buck - could not recover.. :( (Thoughts)?? >

Hit a nice buck - could not recover.. :( (Thoughts)??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hit a nice buck - could not recover.. :( (Thoughts)??

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default Hit a nice buck - could not recover.. :( (Thoughts)??

Well this morn i had a nice buck at 10 yards broadside, and took the shot. it hit high in the chest and low out the opposite side. the back legs kicked and the buck took off. the arrow was a pass through... i slipped out and came back a while later with my bro. there was bubbles in the blood, but it wasnt bleeding that good, and it slowly got to drops, then a big blood clot and then the blood picked up again. and then the same blood slowed and then out comes another but larger clot. the deer was zig and zagging all over and finally we lost the trial. my bro left and i stayed out, slowly walking around and lucklily came across new blood, i tracked it towards a bedding area and by this time i was about 1/2 mile away from where it was hit, and it went much further then that zig and zaggin. i was on hands and knees for a good hundred yards following pin drops,, and then she dried up..... so i am thinking i hit one lung, and it may have got on some does that i did see running all over just b4 it came in, and it never once bedded down.. hopefully it will survive... thoughts???

Last edited by dczys; 10-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Spike

All I know to do is to mark the last spot you found blood and get some of your buddies and try a grid search or something. I think if you hit one lung and did enough damage then you probably cause a fatality. It's just a matter of where he expires at.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's dead.. keep looking.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Spike

ive killed does with one lung shot, but have also "heard" they can survive on one lung.. just odd to me in all that distance it never once bedded down, i would think it would have bedded if it was in pain.. i switched to rage 2 blades this year from shuttle T locks last year, BUT i had an extra shuttle T left and in this spot i would not have a shot over 20 yards so i went with the shuttle T. they have worked awesome in the past. but not today...... my one and only experiecnce with the rage 2 blade was this year on a doe, and it made a huge entry and exit wound, and easy track...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

If you hit him in one lung, keep looking. Don't give up.

On October 8, 2009 I shot at a buck at 7 yards. After the shot it jumped up in the air and kicked. It took off running to the northwest. I thought I made a heart shot but when I retrieved my arrow I saw red blood mixed with guts. WTF I exited the stand and left to the southeast. Long story short... the buck, button-hooked back and I bumped him from his bed when I exited the stand. I found him the next day 0.77 miles as the crow flys to the south of where I shot him. I used a GPS to get the distance from where I found him back to the stand.

I figured he traveled close to a mile before he died.

A few years ago I shot an eight point that I thought was a good hit. It was high, but i thought it was in the pump house. We even had fresh tracking snow. That buck just kept going and going and the blood stopped. About a month later my friends sees the same 8 point feeding in his food plot with a healed patch high and another healed patch down about halfway on the right side. My arrow must have traveled over the spine and exited along the ribs.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a classic single lung hit. I'm assuming you shot him from a relatively steep angle with a high entrance and a low exit which means the wound channel would pretty much cover the entire lung. I don't think this deer will live. Yes, they can live with one lung but that usually happens when you just clip a lung. He can also go a loooong way. As others have stated get a search party together and do a grid search. Check any near by water sources. Do you have access to a trained tracking dog? Is so that is the best solution. If not, grid search. Good luck!!!

Dan
Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a dead deer to me. Keep on looking with a grid search. good luck finding him
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my hunting buddies and I were out this past Saturday and he made a similar shot on a 9 point. Tracked for about a half mile, at which point he started going up a ridge...not good, right? Well, about 50 yards up the ridge he started running sideways along the ridge. 50 more yards and there he laid. After we found him, drug him to the truck and drove to the creek to field dress it, only one lung was hit and it was only clipped. There was a bit of shoulder damage, but I believe that a decent one lung shot will kill the deer. Good luck with your continued search.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Keep a lookin...you may find a pot-o-gold very soon. Don't give up!