Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Always be prepared >

Always be prepared

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Always be prepared

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Always be prepared

So I hunt in 2 spots. One is really close the other one is about 30mins from my house. Been hunting the closest spot to my house but I have only seen one small doe and that was on opening day. So I decided to check out my other spot for an evening hunt. I got to my stand to find out something ate all the foam off my seat. Not a big deal old stand. The bad thing is after 2 hrs my a** killed.
I wanted to get back out there for the morning hunt. I decided I would try my buddies gun blind. I never tried to bow hunt out of it. Got a later start in the morning and seen a spike in the field. I quickly made my way to the blind and sat down. Knocked my arrow set my bow down and tried to figure out my shots. After about 2 mins I hear all kinds of noise behind me. I peak out the side of the blind and four doe are coming up the gully right behind me. I quick try to move over so I can shoot out the left side. I position my self when I first sat down to shoot out the right. When I tried to move I notice the whole bottom of the thing was covered with dry leaves. I murmured to my self sh*t. I keep moving inch by inch. One was closing on me quick. She was almost 15yds in front. I turned my but just a little bit so that I could get a good shot out the front. Then the fabric on the seat made a slight noise and it was a done deal. She looked right my way and turned around and started to talk up the trail with all her sisters . They got about 100yds away and I heard a train. Perfect now I can use this time to get all the leaves out. I got them all out and the didn't hear me. Meanwhile I am hear noise behind me. Then I think I started to hear scrapping. I wait 10min and nothing. Then the spike which I had seen before was walking straight towards me. The bad thing is he was cover by the corn of the blind. That didn't last long and he turned around and never gave me a shot. Wow what a great morning. Know I am a little mad all these deer so close and no shots.
Finally I had a little down time, no deer in sight. I got to looking a my position and how much room I had. Man I will have to do this perfect to be able to go to full draw in here. I decide to draw back and see if I could pull this off. Other wise I was going to just sit on the side of the blind. I started to draw back and plink there goes my arrow. Wtf I am think at this time. My bow bummed the blind making a load noise and I could hear my arrow fly off. I look down and my release is still closed. Right away I knew what it was I had the problem 3 weeks ago. There is a small gap in the release and the d-loop went right through it. Before I had thought the d-loop was worn out so I put a new one on and everything was good to go. 40 seconds after that happen I beautiful 8 pt came up the hill 20 yds away to my right. My jaw dropped. What to I do.??..do I quick knock another arrow and try it.??.. Will I have enough room??? He just looked around and started to walk at a decent speed right out in front of me he got about 60yds in front of me and he winded me and he was gone. That ended my day. All I could do is shake my head.
That evening I went and bought a scott release. I hope these are much better. Feels 100% better in my hand. The release I was using which I had bought last feb. Was cobra. Never again