Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just saw something very disturbing!! >

Just saw something very disturbing!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just saw something very disturbing!!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes stuff does happen, but I imagine like the others said, it was some idiot being just that...
That's kind of my point. You have direct experience and yet still would imagie it was an idiot. Given your experience with your buddy why not imagine it was the same thing?

It just burns me that all the non-hunters who may see this deer will be disgusted. They are non-hunters on there way to being anti-hunters. Instead of defending our fraternity we would assume the worst and throw this hunter to the wolves. That will certaintly help our sport.

hey don't get me wrong. we would all love for this NOT to EVER happen. Be nice to see us rally around instead of rally against. I also completley agree with hangin someone upside down with thier boot laces and sayin "I will not take that shot" a thousand times, if they were in fact making some assinine shot. We just don't know that's the case.......
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

It could have been an accident. I shot at a deer and hit a brush branch, and it was deflected below its head. But it goes both ways, could have been intentional or nonintentional.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not surprised.. this is what the xbow will bring into PA.. the weekend warriors that gun only hunt are now using scoped bows. YEEHAW.. slobs
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WTDoc
I work about 5 minutes away from the area I hunt. Its a bow only state park. At lunch several times a week, i take a drive to get away from the office and also to check things out. Today (about 20 mins ago) I was driving and see a lone deer out in the open next to a small access rd. He/She was unalarmed and I noticed that something was not right, but not sure what it was. As I drove up a bit closer, the deer was about 10-15 yd away, it non-chalantly turned and headed back to the woods. That is when I noticed about 6-8 inches of arrow/bolt sticking out of its face!!! Unfortunately, i couldn't get my phone ready to take a picture. The deer did not seem affected, but it really p*****d me off. My thoughts are that someone took a headshot and it did not go off correctly. Also, my opinion, that it was an x-bow hunter, although I cannot be sure, but it sure looked like a bolt rather than a regular arrow. I definately see more x-bow hunters in this area than compound hunters. Jeff (early in) can attest to this.
I'm seeing more "less than experienced" hunters (I use that word loosly) in there than in the past. The GOOD thing is they're affraid to hunt in the thick stuff, which is where those deer are most of the time. Except during the rut of course!

And yes, anything is possible regarding that deer you saw. You just never REALLY know what took place. Either way, that sucks to see something like that!

Last edited by early in; 10-19-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by OntElk
experience with what? Having visions like that show "Medium". Experience nothing my man. You weren't there and so you DO NOT know how the incident happened. You can puff up and talk about how many years you been...blah blah blah.

If you do have experience then you know hunting in the wild is a an extremely dynamic sitaution. Experience means you've seen and done many things over time. Both good and bad. Experience means you know that sometimes stuff happens even to qualified, seasoned, experienced hunters. Heck the explosion of hunting shows and channnels dedicted to airing them has shown us all that. Many an "experienced" pro has looked up in bewilderment at a camera lens and said "I don't what happened?!"

Experience nothing. You might have a theory or a guess based on experience but don't let that experience become arrogance at the expense of discrediting a hunter you don't know and in a situation you know nothing about.
Taking this rather personal aren't you? Must be a arrow gun hunter.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

lol. I do it all my friend. Bang, Thwack, thunk, patow! I however prefer to make love to my wife and not my traditional archery equipment like you. lol

The future of hunting is shaky at best thanks to anti-hunters like bigcountry and fingerzd. Yes, that's right. Anti-hunters! Just because you accept one form of hunting doesn't mean you can't be an anti hunter.

Well done boys!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

It could have been a missed shot. Heck my first day out i shot a doe in the rear leg and i was holding on herheart. Just a mix of shakeing and a little limb. I could see a head shot with a rifle or muzzleloader. But not a bow. When i shot the doe in the leg i moved in to take her out but it was a head shot only.Even on a wounded deer laying down i would not take that shot
Old 10-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Spike

I have a friend at work that also head shot a doe, it wasn't his intentions, but she turned right underneath him and he let it fly and thats the outcome. This deer however did get found and finished off.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstockbigblock
I have a friend at work that also head shot a doe, it wasn't his intentions, but she turned right underneath him and he let it fly and thats the outcome. This deer however did get found and finished off.
Well, bad things do happen. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fellows who don't want to hear that. It's too much fun for them to automatically assume that it was some idiot that took an intentional head shot (with a crossbow) so that they can fire up the "holier than thou" train and go for a ride.

Next someone will magically deduce that it was a mechanical broadhead on the arrow. I mean SURELY a cut-on-contact fixed blade would have passed thru......
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by OntElk
lol. I do it all my friend. Bang, Thwack, thunk, patow! I however prefer to make love to my wife and not my traditional archery equipment like you. lol

The future of hunting is shaky at best thanks to anti-hunters like bigcountry and fingerzd. Yes, that's right. Anti-hunters! Just because you accept one form of hunting doesn't mean you can't be an anti hunter.

Well done boys!
I disagree. Future of hunting is probably shakey due to lack of habitat in most parts of the US. This has to due with urban sprawn and the explosion of development in the past 10 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.