Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just saw something very disturbing!! >

Just saw something very disturbing!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just saw something very disturbing!!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Spike

Default Just saw something very disturbing!!

I work about 5 minutes away from the area I hunt. Its a bow only state park. At lunch several times a week, i take a drive to get away from the office and also to check things out. Today (about 20 mins ago) I was driving and see a lone deer out in the open next to a small access rd. He/She was unalarmed and I noticed that something was not right, but not sure what it was. As I drove up a bit closer, the deer was about 10-15 yd away, it non-chalantly turned and headed back to the woods. That is when I noticed about 6-8 inches of arrow/bolt sticking out of its face!!! Unfortunately, i couldn't get my phone ready to take a picture. The deer did not seem affected, but it really p*****d me off. My thoughts are that someone took a headshot and it did not go off correctly. Also, my opinion, that it was an x-bow hunter, although I cannot be sure, but it sure looked like a bolt rather than a regular arrow. I definately see more x-bow hunters in this area than compound hunters. Jeff (early in) can attest to this.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a WCO can do something. Sucks but hey that's what your fellow PA sportsman is out there doing.

Ryan.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

WTF - head / face shot......WTF?? some sorry sorry SOBs out there...................very sorry to hear the news!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would think a xbow would of went through, as i have shot hogs in the head with a compound bow and they just stick....never a good idea to take a head shot at a animal with a bow in any situation...cause that hog ran over 500 yards befor layin down, and when the dog (blood traker) took us upon it he was wayyyy still alive, but a good boiler room shot put him down.

as a favor to the community, sounds like you need to get a bunch of buddies together and go hunt that deer, let em all go but that one...remember it cant see so when yall are walkin through keep a few people together and drop people off as you walk through bein very quiet...poor deer....and makin sure than at least 1 person walks back outta the woods..as all it can do is hear ya walkin..

will ya do the world a favor and go get that deer?

<scratches hunters from pa off the list>
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
bigcountry

Well, there is a learning curve with any archery. I can suspect you will see more and more of this with the new arrow-guns being legal now in PA. I did in MD. Kinda like a whole new batch of teenage newbie compounders coming out.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

ridiculous how you see something and come to all those conclusions. Quite the CSI candidate I guess.

Why is it that we always think the worst of fellow hunters without knowing what happened? And to try and make it a Xbow thing. Like that makes it worse because "it's one of those xbow shooters".

Deer comes in form the wrong side, hunter turns in his tree stand akwardly and forgets his jacket has a top button undone, he catches the next button when he turns, doesn't realize it because his attention is on the deer. he's thinking "make a good clean shot" he raises the xbow and never relaizes the now open jacket is caught on his string. He waits pationtely for the perfect shot as he doesn't want to wound the animal. Patience. Takes careful aim. he shoots and the jacket caught on the string yanks the bow and the arrow flys a foot off target!

Happened to me but thankfully the bolt flew high over the deers back. Could of went the other way and nailed it in the head.

It was a warm day and I had my jacket undone too much. The way i raised the bow my jacket caught on the string. Innocent mistake that I've never let happen again but it sure doesn't make me some ignorant, unethical, don't give a crap hunter does it?

Support your fellow hunters in the face of doubt!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by OntElk
ridiculous how you see something and come to all those conclusions.
Experience

Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this Pennsylvania?

Maybe it's part of a campaign to get those new crossbow hunters, new to PA, into prison.

Can you imagine a dastardly crossbower invading archery territory. That must be like Sheep herders invading cattle country?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got a buddy who actually ACCIDENTALLY arrowed a deer in the face. He was lucky enough to drop her on the spot, but it was a total accident none the less... It was his first archery deer about 4 years ago. Buck fever etc accounted for a bad shot that resulted in an arrow to the noggin...

He wasnt proud that he shot it in the face or any of the sort. Just glad she went down instantly.

Sometimes stuff does happen, but I imagine like the others said, it was some idiot being just that...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

experience with what? Having visions like that show "Medium". Experience nothing my man. You weren't there and so you DO NOT know how the incident happened. You can puff up and talk about how many years you been...blah blah blah.

If you do have experience then you know hunting in the wild is a an extremely dynamic sitaution. Experience means you've seen and done many things over time. Both good and bad. Experience means you know that sometimes stuff happens even to qualified, seasoned, experienced hunters. Heck the explosion of hunting shows and channnels dedicted to airing them has shown us all that. Many an "experienced" pro has looked up in bewilderment at a camera lens and said "I don't what happened?!"

Experience nothing. You might have a theory or a guess based on experience but don't let that experience become arrogance at the expense of discrediting a hunter you don't know and in a situation you know nothing about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.