Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Me and Dad Stuck...Input plz >

Me and Dad Stuck...Input plz

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Me and Dad Stuck...Input plz

Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Me and Dad Stuck...Input plz

Fact: I have never gotten a bowkill. I injured one last year.

Around 2 o'clock today me and my dad headed to the mountains with high hopes of getting something.

I was in my set and ready to go in my Summit Goliath at 3:15. My dad was in his climber around 3:30 about 200 yards away to the left from me.

Around 4:30 he has a doe sneak in on him, and he semi-spooked her off trying to get a shot on her. She bedded 80 yards away from him. Around 6:15 I hear quite a few deer blowing to my left, so I get prepared in case they come to me.

Next thing I know here comes 2 big does up from behind me. The first one comes straight to the shooting lane in front of me, in front of a stump that I had previously ranged at 20 yards. I take the shot, hear the G5 Striker hit, and she runs off to my right. She stops, starts walking again, then stops again and she appears to be hunched up. She just walks off. My dad gets on the radio and says he arrowed one as well. He heard her crash.

I get down and go to my Easton tracer nock (WORKS VERY WELL!!!) and it was a clean passthrough and the bolt had mainly hair and blood on it. So i'm thinking I have made a good shot. Then I look right behind where the bolt grounded, and I see what looks like stomach contents or guts. We look around for some blood or guts or some kind of start of a trail so we could pick it up in the morning, BUT NOTHING!!!!

It turns out my dad's the reason I saw deer tonight. The deer I heard blowing, were blowing at him. He shot one of the six he saw, and 3 came running to me. He had a good lookin arrow. All blood on his, but ZERO blood trail. But he heard his crash, so I'm sure we will find it.

We will be heading out at 9:00 in the morning to go look for both deer. We called a friend and he said he would come with us to help look. Wish us luck!!!

Pictures of my bolt. Gut shot??
Old 10-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep! Looks like the classic light blood gut shot arrow to me. Odds are you won't have a blood trail. She won't go far if you didn't push her while getting your arrow. She will be dead by morning. Just start looking in the last direction she was headed and then start doing a grid search.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Yep! Looks like the classic light blood gut shot arrow to me. Odds are you won't have a blood trail. She won't go far if you didn't push her while getting your arrow. She will be dead by morning. Just start looking in the last direction she was headed and then start doing a grid search.

Will do, hopefully with three of us, we can can find 'em both
Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with 2 lunger....if not a sure enough gut shot, you hit her back. Since you left her last night, the odds are much better that you'll find her fairly close to where you last heard her. She could possibly still be alive this morning, but if she's been bedded all night, she'll probably be stiff. Just be sure to have another broadhead ready for her just in case.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grasshopper13
I agree with 2 lunger....if not a sure enough gut shot, you hit her back. Since you left her last night, the odds are much better that you'll find her fairly close to where you last heard her. She could possibly still be alive this morning, but if she's been bedded all night, she'll probably be stiff. Just be sure to have another broadhead ready for her just in case.

Good luck!
Ok, yeah I will definately be taking my bow.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heading out now fellas. Wish us luck.

Will update when I get back.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck finding your deer bud.

Shane
Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Updated....http://huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunti...ml#post3476739
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fact: I have never gotten a bowkill. I injured one last year.

Shouldn't you change your name? HEhehe. Had to say it. Congrats on the doe.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For future reference smell it. If its gut, it should smell.