Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
stuck one.... need some imput: UPDATED >

stuck one.... need some imput: UPDATED

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stuck one.... need some imput: UPDATED

Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default stuck one.... need some imput: UPDATED

Hey guys and gals

I shot a nice 10 point tonight about 1830. He was standing broadside at 30 yards. I think i hit him a little bit further back than i wanted. After i shot he only ran about 60 yards, stopped looked around for a couple minutes then proceeded to trot another 60 - 70 yards before hunching up tucking his tail between his legs and stopping again, it was getting dark so i couldnt tell if he layed down or what, he was standing in about 4 foot high CRP. I waited til it got completely dark found my arrow, which was the opposite direction of what he ran and then backed out. When i found my arrow it was covered in dark red blood with what looked like a bunch of clots on my vanes, I am thinking a liver hit, what do you guys think?

p.s the arrow was a complete pass through tipped with a 2 inch rage. I couldnt smell and feces or stomach matter on the arrow.

Thanks for any input

Tom

UPDATE :

After about 3 hours of sleep we went out this morning and after a 2 1/2 hour track job we found him! He had bedded right where I last seen him last night then gotten up and bedded 2 more times before he finaly crossed a creek and we lost his blood trail. When he crossed the creek he went into some of the thickest nastiest cover around, not being able to find any blood i just skirted the creek knowing gut hit deer will seek out water and i have always heard bucks like to bed where they can here water running. After about a half hour of following the edge of the creek i found him, bedded right next to the water about 15 yards from a beaver dam. I hit him back even further than i thought, i did hit liver but mostly guts. He is a 10 point scores 138 5/8, not the biggest deer bet not to shabby for my first bow buck.
Attached Thumbnails stuck one.... need some imput: UPDATED-102_0276.jpg  

Last edited by FF/EMT; 10-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you're right on with the liver hit. If it's as cold in MN as it is in NY I'd wait until morning just to be sure.

Sounds like you did the right thing by finding your arrow getting out of the woods. I bet he's laying right where you last saw him and he'll be there in the morning.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

It sound a liver shot. You need to wait for moring to start looking for your deer. Get some freinds to help track it. That just a thought.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

"Try" to get some sleep tonight. You'll find him in the morning. You handled things just rt.

Dan
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I agree it sounds like a liver hit. Check the weather and radar...if it looks clear wait till morning, if not wait at least a few hours. I went after a buck that was liver shot to early and bumped him from his bed...I got him but I should have given him a couple more hours.

Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I would wait 6-8 hours...sounds like maybe the liver and possibly gut. You can also read about this in Rob's forum, Recovery, what to do after the shot. Good luck with the search...let us know if you find him!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Wait til Mourning, then when you find him post up the pics
you did the right thing by backing out. Good Luck on sleeping tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike

Also make sure you remember or marked where your arrow was, and would be able to remember where you saw him stop and hunch up. It will look a lot different tomorrow. Don't get discouraged or quick too early if you haven't found him right away. Good Luck! We start tomorrow and hope I have a similiar story to tell, but hopefully I shoot a little more forward. I say I hope because I would likely miss him completely if buck fever sets in.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
"Try" to get some sleep tonight. You'll find him in the morning. You handled things just rt.

Dan
I agree. Most likely that deer is not far from where you last saw him. Can't wait to see the pics
Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck Tom! I expect to see pics in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.