Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand? >

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
funniest thing was watching a squirrel fall out of a tree
I'll agree with you there. I've seen several different squirrels start goofing around, chasing each other, showing off, etc. The best laughs are when they start showing off and seeing who can jump the farthest...it's quite comical when one bites the dust
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have a good squirrel story.

I was in the deer woods, a Red tail Hawk flies by with a squirrel dangling from its talons, all of a sudden out of nowhere a Great Horn Owl dives at the hawk. The hawk drops the squirrel, the owl pounces on it. The hawk lands on branch and starts screeching, the owl still on the ground on top of the squirrel fully extends its wings and fluffs out its feathers, need lees to say, the owl had squirrel for breakfast that morning.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Heard a bobcat screaming one morning before light. This was before bobcats were common in Northeast Mo. People were having sightings but they werent common. All I could think about was my Grandpa claiming he had seen a panther in the area about 5 years before.
Another time I was walking to my stand before light on a windy morning across a cut corn field. All I could see were the tire tracks at my feet. The sound of the rustling corn wasnt right so I stopped but coulgnt see a thing.Thought I could here breathing in the dark. A deer blew practically in my ear as I was standing there and brushed by me as it ran off. Never did see what it was!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

The scariest thing I saw from my stand was about 15 years ago....it was the bottom half of my climber about 6 or 7 feet down. I was about 25 feet up a tree, and was so distracted by the deer in the area when I got there that I forgot to tie the lead from the top half to the bottom. Lifted my feet to stretch them out during a mid-day lunch, and learned a quick lesson. Had to bear hug a tree and climb down to that bugger because I didn't have a cell phone...was scary unhooking my harness for that climb! Won't ever make that mistake again.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

I am 15 and the second time ever going bowhunting I was walking to my stand around 5:30 am, got to my stand tied my bow and pack up and just as i'm about to climb up i hear a bunch of screeching and snarling, i'm guessing it was racoons fighting but In less than a second I was 20 feet up in that tree. scared the hell out of me. One other night as i'm about to get out of my stand i shine my light and in the woods 20 yards from my stand is a pair of glowing green eyes looking at me from the ground, they kept focosed on me as i climbed down and hiked out. pretty spooky!!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pops423
Had a flying squirrel land on my leg last year while 22' up in the tree. It was just getting light and could see it running thru the trees in front of me. Next thing I know, I catch movement and it's gliding right at me. Waap!! lands right on my thigh and sticks. So there is me, all 6' 210# shaking my right light to get him off. in a matter of seconds, all was quiet, but it was quite 'interesting' there for a bit.
hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaha ahahahaahahha aha ahahhahahahahahahahahah aahahah ahaha a ahahahahhahaha ahahaha ahaah a ahahahahahahahah ahaha
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

Me and my buddy were turkey hunting at the edge of a field in the woods at the base of this small hill. I had been messing around with my phone and we were crapping around, then all of a sudden we hear this light rustle 15 yards up the hill from us that I had heard once before. My buddy asked what was that and I said probabally a cow. Well I turn around and there are turkeys just walking throught the woods. I was waiting for the big one but he never came so I didnt get to shoot one, oh well.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I had a guy pull a gun on me while I was in a stand.... Pretty much a snare situation along with me freezing and having no idea what to do. I'll tell you what. If you want to get someone out and keep someone out of your woods. That does the trick. I've never been back to that spot hunting. And its right behind my house!!! I'll re-post the story if you guys want me to.

Ryan.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know how on some mornings you just get a spooky feeling walking to your stand in the dark? Well several years ago, I was on my way to my stand when I began to get that feeling. I hurried ever faster, thinking it'll be better when I'm up in that platform. I climbed into the stand, situated my gear and had just about forgotten about the spooky's. I sat down and heard this noise behind me and turned around to see this bright light right in my face. In that millesecond every possible scenario runs through your mind on what it might be. Is it a space alien, or someone else right above me in the same tree? Keep in mind, the light was right in my face. It sent one of those shivers down my spine that you only experience a few times in your life. What could it possibly be twenty feet up in the air? Turns out when I sat down, my flashlight was in my back pocket and it turned on and when I turned around to see what the noise was, it was shining right in my face. I felt pretty foolish but I sat there and laughed to myself about it the rest of the morning.

Another time, I had an owl go right past my head in the dark and I don't know how many times I've been going to my stand through a picked cornfield and have a covey of quail flush up around me. Now that one 'll make you check your fruit-of-the looms.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had birds land on my legs and my bow while I've been up in my stands. I've been face to face with squirrels in the stand. The funny thing about that is just say boo to the squirrel and watch how high they jump. I had a huge red-tail hawk land about 1 foot away from me. These were all up in stands. When I was on the ground I had an opossum lick the bottom of my boots. Another time I was turkey hunting sitting at the base of a tree and I heard something walking behind and it got extremely close. It was still dark so I couldn't tell what it was. The noise stopped but then I heard it climbing up the back side of the tree. Then it comes around to the front side and it is upside down with it's face staring down at me about 1 foot above my head. It was a huge coon. Thankfully it stared at me a few seconds and then proceeded to take off up the tree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.