Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand? >

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

I wasn't in my treestand but I was on a 3/4 mile hike in to my morning stand about 6 years ago, it was pitch black and I was only using my flashlight occasionally.....suddenly, 2 raccoons broke into a fight about 50 yards in front of me on the hillside. My butthole puckered up tighter than a snare drum for about 30 seconds.

For those of you who have ever heard coons fight you know it's an eerieeeeee sound. How about you guys and gals?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch the Blair Witch movie then walk into the dark woods.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Not from my treestand but from the duck blind. One coot flying from our left, one coot flying from our right. Intersection right in the middle of our decoy spread. They collide mid air. Both fall stone cold dead. We couldn't stop laughing the entire morning.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

a coon fight is childs play compared to a gray fox bark!

i was in my stand settled in in the dark one morning..i was way early for some reason...from my left i hear leaves shuffling..DANG the deer are coming early! the critter then hit my trail and i heard it stop..DANG the deer is gunna bust me!

then it happened....i heard the most hair raising noise i have EVER heard...it was deep and throaty and ear piercing all at the same time..it scared me like nothing else...and it did it a few more times...there i sat in the dark the next hour scared beyond belief...i run coon hounds at night and have been doing so since i was 4 or 5...ive spent probably as much time in the woods in the dark as i have in the day..the woods in the dark have never scared me till that day...

did some research when i got home and found out it was a gray fox...wasnt hard to figure out as i seen him a few times in the day light that season...for being a 10lb animal, that sucker has a heck of a bark...

next scariest thing in the woods was flushing a ruffed grouse in the dark walking down a path heading to the hound...if youve flushed a ruffed grouse before you know they can scare you in the daylight...try beeing 6-8yo and having one flush right beside you in the dark...

i had a red tailed hawk in my favorite spot all season one year...nearly EVERY evening he would fly right by my stand..must been his flight path..i could literally feel the air off his wings..i could touched him a couple times...one evening i watched him hit a tweety bird out of mid air so hard it blew feathers off..it was amazing...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

This didn't happen to me, but to my Pastor/hunting buddy, when he tells this story I about die laughing no matter how many times I hear it.

He was stalking on evening, middle of the rut, lots of action and I mean lots. As it turned out he got a little more action then he asked for. Sitting in a thicket a small six point walks by but some commotion startles him, on the other side of my pastor, there is a much larger 8 point giving his lady friend a lot of action...Pastor Dave says there was a lot of grunting and these are his words not mine..."It sounded like the doe was enjoying it as well"

He has also witnessed some kinky chipmunk sex...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a flying squirrel land on my leg last year while 22' up in the tree. It was just getting light and could see it running thru the trees in front of me. Next thing I know, I catch movement and it's gliding right at me. Waap!! lands right on my thigh and sticks. So there is me, all 6' 210# shaking my right light to get him off. in a matter of seconds, all was quiet, but it was quite 'interesting' there for a bit.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Went and saw it in the theater one night when it was first out and then went hunting the next morning..........talk about an earie feeling....

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Watch the Blair Witch movie then walk into the dark woods.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I saw another hunter come within 15yds of my tree and decide it was a good place to take a dump!! I let him get his pants around his ankles and then gave him a soft "i am up here" he tripped and fell all over the place as he tried to pull his pants up. i laughed so hard i almost fell out of the tree. betcha he will think twice before he pops a squat in my area again! lol. Sorry not really a scary story but very funny when it happened.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

too many funny ones here so far, the pastor one and the dude dumping totally took me out

Scariest - I had a black bear cub climb up my tree and sit on the cross member that braces against the tree...then comes mama bear and he goes ape s$@& and starts making a ton of noise...she stands up, against my ladder, and somehow cuffs him into her front legs and carries him off...she goes 5 yards or so and just stares at me...goes to a tree and stands again, raking her claws down the side of it...i was in a similar snare drum situation

Wild and Strange - Still hunting through a hollow with my bow, and the woods opens up with two bucks fighting, loud as all hell. I immediately sit down against a hemlock and begin to can call, grunt, etc to get there attention to no avail. I go about 50 yards up a sidebank and see it...a spike buck and a huge 8 point charging each other like rams...the little spiker would drive his tines into the head of the large buck, as his horns would completely go around the spiker...this went on for over 40 minutes, I couldn't move...eventually, spike buck is victorious, runs off the big buck, then comes up my way to find no doe (made me laugh a bit, as if for him to say WTF man)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not really scary, but a few years ago I was sitting in my climber and a six sense made me look up in time to see a hawk diving toward me. He got within about fifteen feet or so and flared out when he realized I wasn't a big squirrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.